turbo yea im a noob lol

ItzFox69

Oct 23, 2009
East Coast
Im looking at pony downs turbo kits the stage 2 kit really struck my eye.

And I was wondering would it really be necesary to go to a 306 setup first or would it be okay to do on the stock 302?

Also does anyone here have any expirence with Pony Down and how did it turn out for you

thanks in advance.

-nick

• Sponsors (?)

I have no experience with that kit, but I've had 2 different turbo kits. There's no reason to rebuild your motor unless its worn out and time to do anyway. Obviously pushing boost through a ragged shortblock is going to put stress on it that it's never had before, but if it's running strong, I wouldn't worry about it. I was pushing 10psi through a 120k mile shortblock for a couple of years.

thx for the input, I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday, seems like the only thing i should really need to do is some top end stuff to help it breathe better, heads and intake wise. probably should start looking at edlebrock here shortly.

Stock heads will make decent power with boost, but it wouldn't hurt to put somthing better on the motor.

yea im lookin at edlebrock estreet heads right now but i can't figure out what pushrods id need to get cause they're saying it requires hardend pushrods.... idk if I'd need to go with stock length or if im gonna need a longer one or shorter one.

Jeff at Pony Down is known for making very nice stuff. Just don't expect to order a kit and have it show up in 2 weeks. Not gonna happen. He's months out on work right now I think. Be prepared to wait.

Depends on how much power you want to make and how much boost you are willing to push. You can push 15 psi and make in the high 300s to low 400s with an all stock long-block and bolt-ons. With heads and an intake, I made around 400 rwhp at 10 psi. Pushing 15-ish psi of boost isn't necessarily unsafe as long as it's well tuned. I personally prefer not to go above that on pump gas, though.

Chris