Electrical Turn cancel not working

ggradtech

Jun 17, 2016
My alignment was just done. Its great except my cancel for the turn signals isn't working now. I know there is some type of alignment within the steering wheel assembly that has to be in specs. Anyone have any insight? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I also noticed this morning that my steering rack was not centered properly when they did the alignment. I can turn to the left like 1.5 turns and to the right like 2.5 turns or so. I couldnt even pull into a left turn parking spot without basically doing a K-turn. I have a Momo steering wheel/adapter installed as well. The shop guy said he couldn't get the steering wheel to be "centered" without running the tie-down ends out to the very end on one side. I do hate the fact that these cxars have a notched steering wheel instead of the older splined type attachment. This whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

The rack isn’t centered to the steering wheel. Did you change parts? Did you bolt the Momo wheel on in the correct orientation?

Sounds like the alignment guy put the steering wheel to center and aligned..but the wheel was off to begin with

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Initially, I had a good wheel alignment. When I swapped out the stock 93 airbag wheel with the Momo, the steering wheel orientation was off a few degrees. I'm fussy, so I wanted it perfect. I re-did the alignment myself using the "string method" to get the toe angles correct since caster and camber were alressdy good. After my ghetto self-alignment, I felt I needed a pro to do it on a machine properly. The car seemed squirrelly at highway speeds. The shop gave the car back to me with a good alignment, except they didn't center the steering rack 1st. I have a solid steering shaft on my car. The shop moved the alignment of the "shaft" but failed to re-center the rack itself. I have it back now after they corrected it. The Momo adapter does have a specific orientation, and I followed the instructions for it. It sucks that these cars have a "notched" steering wheel for installation instead of a "splined" type. A splined type makes small increment adjustments possible, but not a notched wheel/column.

Ah, I think if i remember correctly there was a difference in wheel orientation between the older wheels and the 90-93 wheel setup. The momo adapter is setup for the 84-89 steering column, but when used on the 90-04 column, does result in the steering wheel being offset a few degrees.

The BEST way to fix this is the MM steering shaft, which allows you to clock the wheel without moving the rack. (step 25 in the procedure) If you center the wheel and then adjust tie, you end up with the situation you describe as the rack isn't centered to the wheel.

If your solid shaft is the MM one, follow step 18 to 31 exactly, and then take the car to be aligned. I can see why the shop didn't center it as it involved taking the aftermatker shaft apart to reclock it.

If it's a different brand shaft, it may not allow you to reclock the wheel

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user