Turn Signals & Flashers Won't Work

Herz21

Aug 31, 2005
Richmond, IN
My turn signals, hazards, and brake lights will not work. When I turn my lights on, the bulbs come on and don't do anything. I was told to replace my brake light switch above the brake pedal but that didn't do anything. Any suggestions?

-Kim

• Sponsors (?)

in my 2004 the flasher is up underneath the gas break pedel. u gotta get on ur back and its in a f***ed up position. i guess the best way to put it. is that its right about where your right knee would be if you were sitting down in the drivers seat. its hard as hell to get out.

"Would that (a defective flasher) make the brake lights not work?"

I don't have a '96 wiring drawing, but for the '99 - '04, it would not. The only part I can think of that is common to hazard lights, turn signals, and brake lights, is the turn signal switch on the steering column. Perhaps (if you are lucky) the connector fell off.

Does your center (3rd) brake light still work? On the '99 - '04, it is wired around the turn signal switch.

n0v8or said:
"Would that (a defective flasher) make the brake lights not work?"

I don't have a '96 wiring drawing, but for the '99 - '04, it would not. The only part I can think of that is common to hazard lights, turn signals, and brake lights, is the turn signal switch on the steering column. Perhaps (if you are lucky) the connector fell off.

Does your center (3rd) brake light still work? On the '99 - '04, it is wired around the turn signal switch.

OK, replaced the flasher & nothing. In order to see if the connector fell off what do I need to take apart? Just the steering colunm its self?

Herz21 said:
OK, replaced the flasher & nothing. In order to see if the connector fell off what do I need to take apart? Just the steering colunm its self?

Before going any further, letting us know if the third brake light still works or not, would be a major clue.

Herz21 said:
No, the 3rd brake light doesn't work either.

Well, then it can't be the turn signal switch. It has to be further back.

Another quick question, does your cruise control work OK? Can you set a speed, have your Mustang hold it, then turn it back off by pressing on the brake pedal?

I agree with GT-03; it is not the turn signal switch. I looked in the '94-'00 Haynes Manual, and the wiring is similar to newer models. The 3rd brake light circuit bypasses the directional signal and hazard circuits.

The 3rd brake light circuit is very simple, so I suggest concentrating there first. It doesn't even require the ignition to be on. There are just three components: a fuse, the brake switch, and the bulbs. My money is now on the fuse, since that same fuse protects the flasher.

Fuses can look good even when blown. Check them with a cheap ohmmeter. Haynes shows the fuse as #9, a 15A; which may or may not be correct. Do you have a fuse chart for your car?

n0v8or said:
The 3rd brake light circuit is very simple, so I suggest concentrating there first. It doesn't even require the ignition to be on. There are just three components: a fuse, the brake switch, and the bulbs. My money is now on the fuse, since that same fuse protects the flasher.

On my Ford DVD, it shows it a bit different. There is a 15a fuse, the brake switch, another 15a fuse, and then onto the 3rd brake bulbs or the turn switch.

The reason I asked about the cruise control, is that it connects up after the brake switch, but before the 2nd fuse. So, if the cruise control is OK, then it is the 2nd fuse. If the cruise control is not OK, then it is either the 1st fuse or the brake switch.

GT-03 said:
On my Ford DVD, it shows it a bit different. There is a 15a fuse, the brake switch, another 15a fuse, and then onto the 3rd brake bulbs or the turn switch.

The reason I asked about the cruise control, is that it connects up after the brake switch, but before the 2nd fuse. So, if the cruise control is OK, then it is the 2nd fuse. If the cruise control is not OK, then it is either the 1st fuse or the brake switch.

Problem fixed after many trials!!!! :nice: There were two wires underneath the dash that were touching metal. Everytime I push on the brakes there was a spark. Looks like the person who had the car before me didn't tape the wires. Took the dash apart and fixed the problem!
Thanx for all of your help! :banana: