Fox Twisted Wedge Exhaust Gasket Interference

PonyGTrider

Feb 27, 2019
Mexico
Hi all,
I removed my headers off from my twisted wedge heads for some maintenance and noticed there are substantial in exhaust interference in the BBK shortiy headers due to prominent welding beads on all the headers ports. I ground and cleaned them so they are free flow now. the problem is that the fel pro 1415 show some interference too. Should I match those gasket to the heads ports for a little better flow without interference?

Thank you all

Attachments

• IMG_0997(1).JPG
    IMG_0997(1).JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Oh trust me I know the feeling . I have been taking care of stuff I’ve put off for months LMAO
Well hang in there I know there are a lot of unfinished things we all have but couldn’t finish the because “We don’t have enough time” well we have plenty of time right now so right now we have no more excuses

Be safe you all

Reactions: 1 user
a small interference wont make much of a difference on a driver, however the first few inches of the exhaust port after the runner are very important. I slapped my longtubes on the car with the adapter plates and I know that at some point I will have to remove them to do some clearancing like you are right now, its not really needed but if I dont do it I will always wonder if I left some power on the table.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a91what
I think I'm following that same principal, not that I'm trying to squeeze every half horse out of that motor or trying to improve a half second, but just to know I'm doing the best I can to solve those variables for my own satisfaction.

Just for the sake of it I just calculated the exhaust interference area. It is 1.3712 square inches total... It should make a difference, maybe not as much as to smash you against the back of your seat or break your neck, but should be better exhaust breathing:)

Thanks revhead347
I apologize, I made a mistake on my initial post I meant to say FelPro 1415
See the attached photo.
If anyone know another gasket part number with higher port (Roughly 1.700") The width still the same (1.250")

Sorry about the mistake

Attachments

• IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 74
1415s are pretty big for any Trick Flow head. How does the gasket port match against the head? Is that buildup on the head side, or the header side?

Kurt

I placed the gasket on the heas and it seem that the gasket is shifted towards the top of the head. What you see the gasket shifted over the top of the head's port is how much yhe gasket interfeers on the bottom of the head port. is there any solution for that?
a) Making slots on the gaskets bolts holes?
b) Grinding the bottom portion of the gaskets to clear that interference bump
c) using other gaskets with bigger height? Which ones?

Thank you all

Attachments

• IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 79
I am not sure what the next step up from a 1415 is. I've never seen it be that far off before. Before you take my advice, send that picture to Trick Flow and see what they say. I'd get another set of 1415s and see if the new set fits any better. If it doesn't, grind the bolt holes to align it.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt
Maybe the issue here is that those heads are way too old and Trick flow had the CNC program off

I already decided to grind the lower segment of all ports to match the heads. I already made a template from one old gasket and with the Dremel will fix them in no time. Tomorrow I’ll pick up a new set of 1415’s and would be interesting to see if I just had a bad set of gasket that gave me that bad off set.
Anyhow I’ll report any findings.
Thanks a bunch

Having to clearance gaskets is pretty common. Someone over ported the tops and bottoms of the intake ports on my heads, so I have to clearance the 1262 gaskets every time.

Kurt