Two questions, one is about hoods, the other about road courses

Miller220

Sep 12, 2009
1. Hey folks, I'm growing to love my recently purchased 02 GT the more that I drive it...although what I'm growing to NOT love is that hood, with the big obnoxious not-so-functional hood scoop. Anyone have Hood suggestions? I Love the hoods that were on 95 GT's but that obviously wouldnt go so well on an 02.....cobra R hoods are nice, but...not quite what Im looking for..I'm thinking that I want my car to look as stock as humanly possible...besides the fact that its about as stock as humanly possible.

2. I'm planning on going to a road course, after some quick research(Me living about an hour out of Detroit) I found a few(for those of you that live in michigan) one was in clarkston, and the other was in...New Haven or something? Regardless.....any suggestions as for what I should bring or anything?:shrug:

Thanks for any input anyone can give me, and I welcome pictures of hoods if anyone wants to :)

• Sponsors (?)

the 1999 hoods don't have the scoop, look way better in my opinion and don't cause the drag the scoop causes. That or a V6 hood without the scoop. You can also just remove your scoop and a body shop fill the holes and repaint your hood. Don't know which is cheaper considering a used hood you might need to repaint to match your car.

As far as a road course goes, you need a helmet, a big box to put all your crap in so it doesn't slide around on the track, and a cooler for food and drink so you're not running into town between runs all the time. Empty your car of EVERYTHING before you go, then just put back in what you need to drive. It's not weight as much as loose crap banging around.

Yeah I love the look of it but it's sad to admit it has no purpose at all when people start to ask about it lol. I would get a heat extractor hood if I were you. Would look very clean and functional! Well Aftermarket ones are I believe. Pretty sure the stock one is just more plastic inserts lol

Road Courses? There's Waterford Hills that you mentioned and the other "big" one in MI is Gingerman - it is located in South Haven (west coast of MI; New Haven is just north of Mt Clemens and does not have anything resembling a racetrack, steer clear of that place LOL).

What type of racing are you interested in? :shrug: There's a few different variations of "road racing" out there (and learning about all of the associated "classes or divisions" as well), so you'll have to decide which one is right for you, or more importantly, which one fits your budget. :D

As far as how to get involved, consider joining a road race specific message board, attending a local event as a spectator, and/or signing up to help work a local event (such as autocross) as track/cone/corner worker. The SCCA has plenty of events in the Metro Detroit/Great Lakes area - shouldn't be too hard to find one and learn more about how it all works:

http://www.detroit-scca.org/

You can also read up on the SCCA main mesage board SCCAForums.com - Forums and search/browse over at Corner-Carvers Forums - Powered by vBulletin before you post any newb stuff.

G'luck and have fun. :cheers:

I think that I'm either going to look at the cirvini hoods, or the 03 cobra hoods..I dont like having a big ugly scoop in my way, especially one that isnt functional. As for the road course...I want to go on an open-track day...where I can turn both Left AND Right...or at all....:D thanks for the input, you guys are the best :hail2:

I got rid of my GT hood as well, I was fortunate enough to find someone selling an 01 Cobra hood, picked it up for $50 and painted it myself. In my opinion the Cobra hood from 01(same as the 03-04 V-6 hood's) look's much better on the car after i installed the Mach-1 grill delete and chin spoiler.... but that's just my opinion.

Love my Cobra R... I think it looks great. You can definitely see it from behind the wheel. It has maybe a 3 or 4 inch raise on the back side. It is significantly lighter than a stock hood also. My hood struts push it up so fast it almost pulls them out if I let it go.

S3010722.JPG

dam1.jpg

dam6.jpg

(Lens has a crack)
MVC-020S.JPG

dam4.jpg