Fox Two tone clear coat

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 215073

Does anyone know the actual clear coat product and finish used on 87-93 GT tow tone cars? I'm asking about the titanium color clear on the lower part of the car.

IMAG0220.jpg

The body shop that has my car is arguing with me about the factory clear coat finish. They are also arguing with me about the tail lights being body color.

Is it matte, eggshell, or satin?

• Sponsors (?)

Tails are definitely body color.

As far as the clear, I have never been under the impression that the lower section is any different than the rest of the car. The factory titanium color is just kind of dull anyway. Personally I’ve always been a fan of doing a brighter silver instead of the titanium, but obviously you can’t if you are going for originality.

I'm just wondering what the proper finish is, or what it was from the factory.

The titanium that the shop painted on has a gloss clear now and looks like crap.
35559.jpeg

The lowers on my 93GT were factory paint when I bought it back in 2006 and it was definitely a single stage matte ( no clear ).
Paint code was YJ , which seems to be a pretty elusive paint code , but it was a s.s.
I have since painted them BC/CC Lexus atomic silver, I like it better and wasn't concerned about the originality.
Tail lights are body color BC/CC.
What is your lower paint code ?
I did a lot of research on my lower paint code and it seems Ford used YJ for any extra silver/gray color they had laying around...lol

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the actual clear coat product and finish used on 87-93 GT tow tone cars? I'm asking about the titanium color clear on the lower part of the car.

IMAG0220.jpg

The body shop that has my car is arguing with me about the factory clear coat finish. They are also arguing with me about the tail lights being body color.

Is it matte, eggshell, or satin?
Fox Bodies did use clear coat or base coat. It was either enamel or lacquer. The paint around the tail lights is body color. If they don't understand this, find another shop.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Ford did not start using production clearcoat paints on the Mustang until the 1990 model year, and still then not all of the production colors were C/C every year. Even some 1993 paints were still single stage.

1990 = 4 non-C/C (EH, EP, YC, YO), 7 C/C
1991 = 4 non-C/C (EM, EP, YC, YO), 8 C/C
1992 = 4 non-C/C (EM, EP, EY, YO), 9 C/C
1993 = 3 non-C/C (EP, EY, WB), 10 C/C

There were four lower 'titanium accent treatment' paint codes used on the Mustang from 1987 through 1993.
1987-88 = 73
1989 = 76
1990-93 = YJ
part of 1991 = ZH

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users
I’m not an expert on this, but I’ve never seen a two-tone Fox Mustang where the lower color was glossy, and I was around when they were new.

As I recall, your car was damaged in a fire, wasn’t it? I remember your travails trying to get it back to original condition and it looks like you’re still working on it!

Just so you all know, the picture in my original post was taken shortly after I bought the car. That paint was factory original. The new lower paint in the car is a gloss clear. Hopefully the body shop makes it right as I'm looking for as close to original paint as possible, including the factory orange peel.