Typhoon intake, good or bad?

93steeda

Dec 29, 2003
North Carolina
I've been looking at intakes and was wanting to know if the typhoon is a good deal or just a piece of junk. I've read that it out performs the cobra and the trick flow intakes. Does anyone have one or know anything about them before I waste my money?

• Sponsors (?)

I just put one on my car 2 weeks ago along with the matching egr plate and 70 mmm t/b. The finish could be a little better and some of the holes needed to be chased w/ a tap. The other problem I had was where the fuel rails bolt up. I had to modify the rail mounting holes a little to make them fit. all in all it worked out ok and it is the generic version of the performer. I bought the polished version. So far I have no other complaints. Check out page 10 of my web sight and you can see it on the car. :nice:

93steeda said:
I've been looking at intakes and was wanting to know if the typhoon is a good deal or just a piece of junk. I've read that it out performs the cobra and the trick flow intakes. Does anyone have one or know anything about them before I waste my money?

I just bought a polished one for $450. I was told it was a copy of edelbrocks performer. I just put the lower one and had no problem with the fuel rails or bolts. I agree about the machining it around where the egr bolts up would help. Honestly the people at Speed Unlimited reconmmended it to me for my setup. We'll see how it performs soon.

You get what you pay for...

What I don't like about the Typhoon intake is it is a rip off of the Performer made in China. What is the quality of the products from China? I'm suprised Edelbrock hasn't sued them. What I really question isn't the initial quality such as bolt holes being tapped properly and all, but a few years down the road, with a couple hundred heat and cooling cycles, and a few removal and reinstalls, will it hold up or will they crack? If it isn't high quality aluminum, it will not hold up. Time will tell, it is a new product.

BTW: I won't put anything on my car that isn't made in the USA, maby Canada, but that is about it. :flag: :flag: :flag:

American Muscell built with forien parts... :notnice: