U/d pulleys......for 2001-2004

Newbie143

May 22, 2005
I read that 2001+ GT's already come with better pulleys from the factory. so U/D pulleys wont make much difference to the newer stangs. What do you all think whoever has a 2001+ GT with steeda U/D pulleys, did you notice any gains? and how much ?
thank you

P.S I'm getting mine installed this week

• Sponsors (?)

They're of a different design (99-00 vs 01-04). The water pumps changed, no real increase in power. Many consider the 01+ with the Romeo to be a stronger runner though.

It'll make the same amount of power increase then a 99-00 would.

Tylerb59 said:
They're of a different design (99-00 vs 01-04). The water pumps changed, no real increase in power. Many consider the 01+ with the Romeo to be a stronger runner though.

It'll make the same amount of power increase then a 99-00 would.

what he said, in 01 the water pump did not stick out the same as earlier motors, so the water pump pulley had to be made with the correct spacing, the diameter was the same.

Here is how the 4.6L pullies change:
-the crank dampener is the same on all 4.6 mustangs
-the altinator pulley is the only pulley that is different between a GT and a 4v. (as long as both are the same year range)
-and the waterpump pulley changed in 01.

Newbie143 said:
I read that 2001+ GT's already come with better pulleys from the factory. so U/D pulleys wont make much difference to the newer stangs. What do you all think whoever has a 2001+ GT with steeda U/D pulleys, did you notice any gains? and how much ?
thank you

people say that they free up a decent amount of horsepower...every now and then people complain about charging issues, tightening of the steering wheel when parking(due to the underdrive of the power steering pump), and a bad install can fubar your engine up....other than that they are good for the price

but i must say that if you plan to get supercharged, dont get them because you have to use your stock pullies..good luck modding

Newbie143 said:
thank you

I heard the same thing. Although my friend with his modified 2002 GT said "no no, there DEFINATELY is a difference with U/D pulleys, there is no debate there". Hes a bit of a Mustnag Guru i'd say with his 565rwhp supercharged GT.

So I'll be getting them sometime for my GT.

UDTBadkarma said:
I heard the same thing. Although my friend with his modified 2002 GT said "no no, there DEFINATELY is a difference with U/D pulleys, there is no debate there". Hes a bit of a Mustnag Guru i'd say with his 565rwhp supercharged GT.

So I'll be getting them sometime for my GT.
why does it matter about his 565rwhp GT? he obviously doesnt have underdrive pullies anymore or are you saying that he has experience and knows that they provide gains

dsg_gt2004 said:
why does it matter about his 565rwhp GT? he obviously doesnt have underdrive pullies anymore or are you saying that he has experience and knows that they provide gains

I meant he has the experience and knows what he is talking about. He doesn't have then anymore, he sold them when he put his blower on a long time ago. I dont take what he says as rule, but i do head his advice. And he has over his cars worth in mods to his car. He spent 22 on the car and has 28k+ in modifications and labor.

i have em and luv, wouldn't drop em for the PI motor swap because i wanted to save as much money as possible without buying new pulleys due to a new water pump design for 2002-2004, so i switched out my timing cover along with the alternator and waterpump from the 98 long block to the 2002 block so that i can still use the pulleys. there is a downside to underdrive pulleys, they slow down your accessories about 25% according to wat steeda says, therefore theres less cooling from the water pump and your car will run a little hotter than normal temperatures. just my .02