Ugrade Alternator = Upgrade Voltage Regulator?

• Sponsors (?)

toddman0025 said:
I'm swapping out the alternator on my '69 for one of those chrome 100A 3-wire models, do I also need to upgrade the voltage regulator?

What do you mean by 3 wire models ? If you mean a 3g alternator then you can unbolt that box from your engine bay and toss it in the trash. The 3g alternators are self-regulated, you just have to wire it up to itself properly.

I got one of these from eBay (3-wire as opposed to a 1-wire)

7e_1.JPG

View attachment 429624

I sent a message to the seller asking if it had an internal regulator. If indeed it does I can junk the old voltage regulator correct?

Attachments

• 7e_1.JPG
    7e_1.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 109
toddman0025 said:
but my stock voltage regulator is rated at ~60A - that's a problem isn't it?
Regulators arent rated, that BS! However there IS a SMALL chance that the upgrade could make the points in a mechanical regulator stick, but I doubt it. If you want, an electronic regualtor is $12 from autozone...no worries then. Besides its not like the regulator sees much, if any current.

OK great - the local autoparts store is filled with idiots, are electronic regulators universal or do I need to tell them a specific application? I have a 351c and they never give me the right parts...

What is the exact function of the voltage regulator? I've heard of some scenarios where you junk it completely, so just wondering why I should keep it...

Thanks for all the help!

Yes the solid state regulators are the way to go. Yes they are amp rated. They don't see the current they control the current. Most only control about 60amps as stated. Ford alternators are inferior due to lousy rectifiers by design. The GM 1 wire is a much better alternator and internally regulated! A no brainer IMO.