underdrive pulleys hard to install?

cb18201

Oct 25, 2003
CT
are underdrive pulleys hard to install? also i have heard i should leave my stock alternator pulley on because the underdrive one can cause charging problems, should i do this? is there anything else important i should know about underdrive pulleys?, also i plan to go with the ford motorsport pulleys. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Do yourself a favor and crack the bolts loose with the belt on...once you take it off, the waterpumps a pain....much easier with it on...

I have had Mac for 4 years....nada for problems...you may see some voltage drop at idle on the gage, comes right out of it when your into it again...

you can actually leave the alternator pulley on bc the switch really doesnt make the difference. It does lack a charge at idle. I suggest removing the fan that way it makes every a million times easier.

jsut be prepared to get some bloody knuckles. also i dont know about the fan belt idea, it never seemed to work for me. i had to get a box end and a ratchet. let me tell u that was fun. and im glad i dont have to take them off for emissions.

I got bloody knuckles, and really disgusted because I didn't remove the belt, and didn't realize my alt was reverse threaded (don't know if all are like this, but mine was...) no charging problems... the pulleys work in conjunction with the set, so w/o the alt, they don't work as well, don't know why, but I've heard this from several local racers... took me about 2 hours with the usuall BSing w/ friends and a lunch break... no charging problems at all! (I have ASP btw... make sure you go w/ aluminum though... that's what you get your power from, the paracitic loss :D) (yes, I'm a physics major...)

Aluminum is where you mainly get your power from... it's the paracitic loss that helps you out... (basically, it takes less energy to turn the belt because the weight of the pulleys is less, therefore allowing the engine to rev up quicker, therefore helping you get that .2 sec gain in the 1/4...

-steel ones will give you some improvement because the crank is smaller, so it does turn the accessories slower, but still, not nearly the gain as you'd see from the AL ones...