underdrive pullies/serpentine belt issues need HELP!!!

Shaffs94Cobra

Nov 1, 2008
Ok, so im new to this site but have been searching around and having found anything to help me out. I have a 94 Cobra by the way. Ok, so i put a set of underdrive pullies on and im having 1 hell of a time getting the belt on :mad:. I actually cant get the belt on unless i take off the plastic idler pulley, pull back all the way on the tensioner, then put the idler back on. Something tells me i need a longer belt. Anyone else out there run into this problem before? Im afraid it might be 2 tight and dont want to wear out the bottom end from to much stress. Anyone have a part number on the belt i need and insight on what 2 do? Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Since you have all three underdrive pulleys (crank, alternator, water pump) you WILL need a slightly longer belt than stock. The reason is that although you have a smaller crank pulley, you have bigger alternator and water pump pulleys.
What's your stock belt size and part no.? You could go to a parts shop, select two belts that are say 1/2" and 1" longer, see which one fits best, and return the other one.

get a piece of string... route it around all the pulleys just as if it was a serp belt... mark/cut and bring it with you to the parts store.. compare with many different sizes and get one around the same size.. may need one .5" larger/smaller depending

Thanks guys. . . I got up this morning and went and got a belt that was 1/2" longer than stock. Works great. I figured that was what i needed 2 do but just wanted some insight on here from you guys. Thanks Again!