Underdrive pullies? Yes or No

• Sponsors (?)

ive got the March pullies and so do alot of my buddies. together we have not had any major problems. theyre a cool mod because you feel a change. if you go with March make sure to get the street pullies.

i've had underdrives for about 2 years now and have had no charging probs or temp probs. I don't have a stereo in my car so that helps alot i'm sure. i've got my stock alt. and i run an electric fan and an msd box.

most street type 3 pulley setups are worth 7-8hp. they are cheap and work great. make sure you get aluminum type, the steel ones are heavy and the less rotational weight of the aluminum ones give you a little extra hp.

I've had March aluminum UDPs on from January 99 to this past November. Actually, I still have them with the exception of the water pump pulley which had to be changed to a steel one when I swapped out my harmonic balancer. Over the past 4 1/2 years the belt has slowly worn away the center section of the aluminum water pump pulley (you could definitely see the groove-it probably had close to 1/16" thickness left-if that). I was glad the balancer gave out when it did-it would have sucked to have that WP pulley give out on the road! Otherwise, I agree with the others--great bang for the buck!

Hawaii-50

SpankyStang said:
Do you think there would be any charging problems with a 130amp. 3g. alt. w/ the alt. pulley and an elec. fan?

That's what I had to do to be able to run my U/D pulleys... May car got wayyyy too hot waiting in the staging lanes at the drag strip and wouldn't cool down properly with the stock clutch fan, even with my 31x19 Griffin aluminum radiator. Once I installed the electric fan, there just wasn't enough juice from the stock alternator, so I went to a 3G... Now, everything works great, but the pulleys didn't make a noticable difference for me. I run ASP red anodized pulleys, and the alternator pulley in this kit is the exact same size as the stock pulley. You reduce the alternator RPMs at the crank with a smaller pulley. I think the alternator pulley is provided just so you have a matching set...
:shrug:

In my opinion, I don't think they're worth the hassle...