Underhood insulation

I'm not sure if this should be considered a "Tech" post or not; moderator, please feel free to move post to appropriate forum. I have a question about the underhood insulation on our beloved Mustangs. At several car shows, I've noticed some '05 and up Mustang owners have removed the underhood insulation from their hoods. I've heard on the Fox body 'stangs that doing this will damage the paint on the top side of the hood and make it so the paint on the hood will not retain wax/polish because of the heat from the engine. Is this true? Does the engine generate THAT much heat? Have any of you removed the insulation? Can you notice any difference in your paint on your hood?
I'm trying to clean up the engine-bay/underhood area of my Mustang before show season and if I can get rid of the ugly gray insulation without fear of damaging my paint, I'd like to toss it. By the way, my pony is a daily driver. Thanks, everyone for all reads and replies!!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure if this should be considered a "Tech" post or not; moderator, please feel free to move post to appropriate forum. I have a question about the underhood insulation on our beloved Mustangs. At several car shows, I've noticed some '05 and up Mustang owners have removed the underhood insulation from their hoods. I've heard on the Fox body 'stangs that doing this will damage the paint on the top side of the hood and make it so the paint on the hood will not retain wax/polish because of the heat from the engine. Is this true? Does the engine generate THAT much heat? Have any of you removed the insulation? Can you notice any difference in your paint on your hood?
I'm trying to clean up the engine-bay/underhood area of my Mustang before show season and if I can get rid of the ugly gray insulation without fear of damaging my paint, I'd like to toss it. By the way, my pony is a daily driver. Thanks, everyone for all reads and replies!!

they put it there for a reason...:shrug:

[qte="earleys94gt, post: 8704286, member: 51902"]The insulation is there in case the engine catches fire, remove at your own risk.

Just keep the engine/underhood clean, and the insulation won't be an issue.[/quote]
No it is for heat transfer to the paint and noise only. Thay crap lasts about thirty seconds on an engine fire.