Universal Catalytic Converters

03_TrueBlue_GT

May 5, 2010
Houston, Tx
Ok I was wondering if anyone has welded a pair of universal catalytic converters on a o/r x pipe? Reason I ask is there is a used x pipe for sale for 100 bucks and I want to get it, but Im not too keen on driving without cats. If I can just buy some 60 dollar ones from Summit and be done with it I will do that.. Also could I just cut out two of the cats on the stock mid pipe and have them welded on?

Thanks for the help and advice y'all.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I have no where near the experience some of the guys have on here but my 2 cents is if you are going to go through the trouble of cutting and welding in cats then you might as well go new from summit. Not sure if you would need to do any kind of sensors as well

I have welded in Walker 15038 universal cats on my MAC Prochamber. They were about $100 each. I can still (barely) pass Ontario emissions with them (which are as strict as California standards). I don't know if you need these for a visual inspection or the sniffer though.

In Texas we have visual and sniffer tests for the OBDI cars and for the OBDII cars they usually just do a visual inspection. I just want to weld the cats on because I don't want to smell the gasoline when I'm idling and don't want the exhaust to sound really raspy when Im barely accelerating..

Thanks for the catalytic converter reccomendations I will definitely look at those.

Someone told me at a car meet that I would be basically defeating the purpose of an x pipe by adding two cats to the mid pipe. I thought that the high flow cats would flow a lot better than the 4 stock cats on the H pipe or am I wrong?:shrug:

Thanks for the help guys keep it coming!:nice:

Btw I here are one of the cats that Im looking at buying when I can...

mpe-99006hm_w.jpg

MagnaFlow 99006HM - MagnaFlow Heavy Metal Catalytic Converters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Ok ya I saw your video and the cats you recommended. I watched the video but it was still pretty raspy too me but you have a lot more done to your car so idk... Will these help fix the raspy exhaust at all because in the video it seemed really raspy still..

Ok ya I saw your video and the cats you recommended. I watched the video but it was still pretty raspy too me but you have a lot more done to your car so idk... Will these help fix the raspy exhaust at all because in the video it seemed really raspy still..

There is ZERO rasp in my exhaust, for some reason it sounds that way through the CELL PHONE I used to record the video, trust me these cats are what you need and will make you happy! dont waste your money on the ceramic cats, get the stainless metallic :nice:

Well I got the cats put on but I had a miscommunication with the shop owner. He told me he had the Magnaflow high flow spun cats and that he would weld them on. I said sounds good go ahead and do it. Well he doesn't put the ones you guys listed on here and now I have the other Magnaflow high flow cats on the car. It does sound a lot quieter than it did before with the x pipe which is expected but I didn't expect it to be so quiet.. I thought it would still have the nice rumble when you get up to 2,000 rpms when I had the x pipe but it isnt that loud. Although the car does sound a lot deeper and smoother so I like it but when I drive the car inside it sounds like the stock midpipe with the Flowmasters I had on and I feel like I got ripped off...

Also do catalytic converters take time to burn in and get louder like some mufflers do? Bc when I first started it at the shop it wasnt as loud as it is now...:shrug:

I will get a video up of it when I can right now I have work all this weekend.

No cats dont wear in like mufflers do, the spun metallic cats would have made you happy volume wise. now it's up to you if you want to keep what you have. the ones they sold you quiet down ANY car quite a bit, the spun metallics flow alot better and have a better all around performance sound withouth the rasp and high pitched sounds

Yeah I probably will have these cut off and have the spun ones welded on, but its going to take a while to do that. I dont even know if the spun ones will fit on there because they cut off a big portion of the x pipe to weld the other cats on...

Im satisfied with the sound but at the same time Im not. Its louder for sure outside of the car but it sounds like my old exhaust inside the car...

I would honestly just go back to the shop and have him return the cats. He installed another part without your permission (or did you agree to it?) I'd buy the bassani xpipe with cats. I had that one my car and it sounded real good. The cats were also pretty good, and really high quality. Plus you have the option to remove the cats at will since its a bolt on. The bassani kit adds a good amount of hp too. If money is tight the first ebay link is a good deal. Otherwise new is better. The biggest advantage of the bassani x complete kit is that its stainless steel which will protect against rust.

Here is the one that I have. I paid $400 new for it about 4 years ago. looks like the price has gone up a few hundred. The demand must have dropped for our years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BASS...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Dont forget no xpipe sounds exactly alike, it could be the xpipe that just so happens to be a little quieter than another one.

Right now money is a little tight so Im just going to keep what I have and eventually weld in the Magnaflow high flow cats that Juiced recommended... I didn't notice that the guy at the shop had welded these in till I got home and I called and he told me they were the high flow ones... Sigh guess I learned to actually pay attention a lot better this time... After spending 250 bucks on these cats Im not to eager to shell out 180 for the other two cats and if they arent louder I would be pissed lol... But I believe Juiced when he says it will be louder, Im just wondering how much louder...
Maybe with these vids he can help me out and let me know if it will sound the same or be a little louder.

Here are two vids of the exhaust. The first ones without the cats and the second one is with the 2 Magnaflow cats...

YouTube - ‪2003 Mustang UPR X pipe‬‏

YouTube - ‪2003 Mustang UPR X Pipe‬‏

Thanks a lot guys everyone's advice is well appreciated and thanks for bearing with me lol