Universal spark plug wire kits

ForceFed70

That's why they call it "dope"
Founding Member
Dec 6, 1999
BC Canada
I'm looking for a set of spark plug wires that are designed so that I can cut them down to the exact length I need and then crimp on 1 of the boots.

I spent a good 1/2hr on Summit's website and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Where did you guys buy your "trim to fit" wires?

• Sponsors (?)

i got my 8mm accell wires in black from autozone, IIRC they ran about 40 bucks. of course i spent about 12 hours with some fingernail polish getting the yellow Accell lettering off because i wanted a more stock look.

Taylor Spiro Pro wires are available from Summit and Jegs. They include terminals, boots, dielectric grease, and instructions. They are a really good wire and have pretty low resistance.

I got an set once from Pep Boys. Can't remember what brand. :shrug: I still have the tool that came with them:

PlugWireCrimp.jpg

Attachments

• PlugWireCrimp.jpg
    PlugWireCrimp.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 189
So all "universal" type wire kits are the ones where you trim to fit? They don't just give you extra long wires? The descriptions on summit, etc only talk about the boot styles and colors, doesn't mention how they are used, etc...

correct. if you need extra long ones try something for a later model stang if you have a duraspark style cap. if you have the points style cap, try getting wires for a 60's vette. they may have 90 or 45 degree plug boots though instead of straight boots.

I'm looking for a set of spark plug wires that are designed so that I can cut them down to the exact length I need and then crimp on 1 of the boots.

I spent a good 1/2hr on Summit's website and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Where did you guys buy your "trim to fit" wires?

I got MSD universal wires (8.5 mm) from Summit. Each wire is about 6 feet long and comes with either standard or HEI terminals. You can choose which boot you want at the plug (straight, 90 degree, or multi-angle) and these will come pre-installed. All you have to do is determine the correct length of each wire, cut to fit, and then crimp the terminal and add the rubber terminal boot. I also bought the spark plug crimping pliers and the MSD dilectric silicone grease. It was pretty easy. I think you need to change your search terms.

I HATE those wires. Maybe I am just really bad at trimming them or whatever, but they just dont last or hold up very long for me. Never again.

which wires exactly do you hate so much? i have theblac Accel wires that i crimped my self and haven't had any problems with the boots pulling off. the old yellow ones were horrible about the boots pulling out because the silicone jacket was too soft, but the black ones i have don't have that problem.