Unknown Exhaust Noise...

Frazier

Founding Member
Aug 13, 2000
Archdale, NC
I have read a few posts where fellow stangers talked about a ticking / rattling noise coming from the passenger side h/x to header connection. Some say that it's the gasket... Some say they just tighten it up a bit more and that's a fix... Well with me it's a bit worse. I stopped by Midas today just to get them to check and estimate the cost of replaceing the gasket. Lifted the car, looked around underneath, checked for leaks... none! Then he checked the cats... I have a bad cat on the passenger side! Guess that would explain the rattling sound.

From here I have 2 options. Put the stock h back on or buy a new h / x pipe. The one on there now is a magnaflow x. What are is your opinion on a replacement w/ cats?

• Sponsors (?)

Frazier said:
I have read a few posts where fellow stangers talked about a ticking / rattling noise coming from the passenger side h/x to header connection. Some say that it's the gasket... Some say they just tighten it up a bit more and that's a fix... Well with me it's a bit worse. I stopped by Midas today just to get them to check and estimate the cost of replaceing the gasket. Lifted the car, looked around underneath, checked for leaks... none! Then he checked the cats... I have a bad cat on the passenger side! Guess that would explain the rattling sound.

From here I have 2 options. Put the stock h back on or buy a new h / x pipe. The one on there now is a magnaflow x. What are is your opinion on a replacement w/ cats?

I would contact magnaflow and see if they would warranty it for you , not sure what there warranty is but wouldnt hurt to call to check on it

OK... Swapped out the x for the stock h untill I can get another pipe. I still hear a noise I don't think should be there but nowhere near as loud or as similar as the noise the original post was about. Couldn't tell if the cat was bad or not after the un-install, but I did hear it rattle a bit when the shop checked it.

Question: Does adding a mid pipe bring out noises that you wouldn't normally hear from your stang?

Question 2: What are your suggestions for a replacement?