Up In Smoke !!!!!!

Rjaaaaaa

Jul 11, 2016
So I was working on my busted up hood doing some final sanding and prime, while the paint was drying I decided to take stang out for a little joy ride on a nice 75 degree day. Made a 20 minute run and was about 2 miles from home and I smelled a little gas, then I saw a little vapor spray out from in front of the intake. Before I could get it stopped BOOM !! a giant fireball flashed up in the front of the engine and then it flared up at the firewall. Gas must have rolled back on the intake. I jumped out and ripped of my tee shirt an proceeded to try and smother the fire but some of the wiring was already burning, wires to dist. plug wires etc. (no fire ext. in car ) Kept fire at bay for awhile but then my shirt caught on fire and I was out of business. I was sure the car was going to burn to the ground, then the heater hose burned through and sprayed on the fire at the firewall and really slowed it down (thank you LORD) . A friend pulled up who had a fire ext. and I was able to put the fire out.
Another 10 minutes and I think I my have lost the car. Looks like I'll need a new dist. and wires. I'm not sure what happened, something around the #5 injector or fuel rail. Thanks to the fact that I had cleaned up the engine comp. most of the wiring on the firewall was tucked away, there was some burning of wires but it is just in the center of the wire run, should be able to splice them through. Also burned some vac hoses but this is all an easy fix.
I'll have to pull the engine but that's ok at least the car is good. Only problem is I just got out of a week's stay in the hospital so it's going to be awhile before I will be able to do anything. Bummer. I'm looking for someone that I could pay for a day to crawl under the car and get everything lose to pull the engine, I can work on it if it's out I just can't get up and down under the car. Remember I'm 68 years old and most of my friends and neighbors are older.
My camera battery was dead some I'll have to get some tomorrow.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

• Sponsors (?)

Hate to hear that... I'm glad you are ok,and for the most part-the car is ok.
Small blessing the hood was off though right? Lol
Hopefully it won't sit long and you can go back to cruising

Reactions: 1 user
Stories like that are the reason I always keep a small fire extinguisher in my mustangs. I hope that if that ever happens that I'll be able to get it out.

Glad your car didn't burn to the ground. The heater hose putting the fire out....you are lucky.

Reactions: 1 users
so here we are with some photos. I think I found some one to help me get the engine out but i'm going to wait a week or so then I will be a little stronger.
Do you think I should just replace the dist. with a stock unit, that's all that was in it?

Attachments

• DSCN0560.JPG
    DSCN0560.JPG
    865.4 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN0561.JPG
    DSCN0561.JPG
    836 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN0562.JPG
    DSCN0562.JPG
    741.9 KB · Views: 146
so here we are with some photos. I think I found some one to help me get the engine out but i'm going to wait a week or so then I will be a little stronger.
Do you think I should just replace the dist. with a stock unit, that's all that was in it?

Man this brings back some dark memories
IMG_5055.JPG

Just take you time and rip it off like a bandaid. You'll feel better once you are putting it back together.

Remember don't get discouraged when you are redoing your work. It could of been worse and it's fixable. Good luck my friend.

That car was so nice. I really like how you worked the shades of blue. First the hood...and now this.

Sounds like you're ready to get back at it again. All you need is a stock replacememt distributor. No need for any fancy billet aluminum...unless you just like bling.

You've got to get that car back up and running.

thanks guys for the encouragement, I'm feeling stronger everyday and I've got some new ideas for the motor so it won't be long and I'll have it out. Return to doctor in 2 weeks if all is ok I should be able to get started.

DSCN0576a.JPG
might need some injectors and complete wiring harness
DSCN0576a.JPG
DSCN0577a.JPG
wiring harness back to computer fried in middle
DSCN0578.JPG
engine harness
DSCN0579.JPG
can you say new distributor
DSCN0580.JPG
Well I have finally started to feel better and the doc says I'm on the mend so today it was 90 degrees here in Pa. so I pushed the stang out into the sunshine and power washed the engine bay.
Started removing the things needed to pull the engine etc. It's not too bad but it's a mess.

Reactions: 4 users