Update on my mechanic job

CManT1914

Feb 5, 2004
Killeen, Texas
I got a new job a month ago as a mechanic at a Honda dealership. I started out just doing oil changes and tires. But they've started to let me do more stuff, like transmission pans and some other stuff. I've helped with a rear end, a few cam position sensors, a fuel pump, couple harmonic balancers (they are a bitch on a windstar by the way, lol) and a few other things. I got my uniforms in today, so it feels good to wear them and actually be a part of the team now. My boss is super cool too, he gives me time off anytime I want. He even lets me work on my car at the shop, and he lets me stay clocked in too! :banana: He lets me work all the overtime I want, and he doesn't let anybody get onto me about anything. He also promised me a raise after the first month, and monday will be a little over a month, so I'm gonna hopefully get a little more money coming my way. I worked 51.13 hours last week, it's a lot different than my previous part time jobs, lol. Anyway, just thought I'd share with you guys. The only bummer is I'm not on here NEAR as much anymore. :( Oh well, maybe the times I am on here I'll be even more knowledgeable than before. :D

• Sponsors (?)

Glad to hear that it is working out so well Chris. :nice:

It would be nice if you could do your starter on a lift there. :D

Awsome! But take some advise: Do your best to not take advantage of all these things your boss lets you do. Just remember that with those kinds of jobs . . . if the boss notices you like that, the more you make yourself worth to him, the better you will do in the long run. This is coming from plenty of experience. Try to be conscientious of how much you cost and how much you are making the company. But with a good start and rep with the boss (which you have), you can go a long way with a word from the wise :D

Ram000 said:
crap man, he lets you work on your car in a professional shop while STILL on the clock? that's a keeper!!! you lucky dog...

Yea, it's pretty tight, lol.

HISSIN50 said:
Glad to hear that it is working out so well Chris. :nice:

It would be nice if you could do your starter on a lift there. :D

He already told me I could actually. It's just a matter of getting the mustang there now. My dad said he'd give me a hand getting it started either monday or tuesday after he gets back from Florida (probably pull it with his truck and pop the clutch, lol).

Zero Signal said:
Awsome! But take some advise: Do your best to not take advantage of all these things your boss lets you do. Just remember that with those kinds of jobs . . . if the boss notices you like that, the more you make yourself worth to him, the better you will do in the long run. This is coming from plenty of experience. Try to be conscientious of how much you cost and how much you are making the company. But with a good start and rep with the boss (which you have), you can go a long way with a word from the wise :D

Yea, I definitely try not to take advantage of what he offers me. So far I haven't done any work on my own stuff there. I know he definitely appreciates my work, I hear him talking all kinds of great stuff about me to other guys when he thinks I'm not around, lol. Like for the last couple of days, I've been cleaning out our tire room during my spare time. I pulled EVERYTHING out of their, both balancers, our tire mounting machine, our shelves, our rotor machine, brake cleaner machine, AC recharge machine, battery chargers, EVERYTHING. I mopped that floor 6 times, got all the tire stickers off and got all the junk out. I went over next door to the other part of the Honda store, and when I came back he was talking to another service manager about how great of a job I was doing. He likes that he can tell me to do something, and then leave me alone, and I'll do it, he doesn't have to keep hassling me about anything.

Glad to hear your liking the job. Just make sure you dont have to many comebacks for stupid ****. ie make sure u check the inner pads not just the outer brake pads and **** like that and ull be fine. At my dealership we are allowed to work on pesonal cars on tuesday nights. Being able to is very nice. Try signing up for some ase's. and some classes at work in the future. Congrats everything is going well.. Brian

CManT1914 said:
He already told me I could actually. It's just a matter of getting the mustang there now. My dad said he'd give me a hand getting it started either monday or tuesday after he gets back from Florida (probably pull it with his truck and pop the clutch, lol).

i've heard of that before, but how exactly do you pop the clutch? something about 3rd gear?

Ram000 said:
i've heard of that before, but how exactly do you pop the clutch? something about 3rd gear?

Just turn the key on, put the tranny in 2nd, leave the clutch in, get the car moving forward (pushing, rolling down a hill etc.), and dump the clutch out real quick. 3rd gear is too tall, use 2nd. Or if you don't have a lot of room, or can't get it rolling very fast, 1st will work too, but it can also stall it back out if you're not quick about putting the clutch back in once it starts.

CManT1914 said:
Just turn the key on, put the tranny in 2nd, leave the clutch in, get the car moving forward (pushing, rolling down a hill etc.), and dump the clutch out real quick. 3rd gear is too tall, use 2nd. Or if you don't have a lot of room, or can't get it rolling very fast, 1st will work too, but it can also stall it back out if you're not quick about putting the clutch back in once it starts.
ah, thanks. i'm sure that'll come in handy sometime, hehe.

When there is no work, then I get to do the same. Unfortunately we are nutzo right now so I can't.

If there is actual work to do, don't ask to work on your car there. But if the shop is clean, and there are no jobs, then it's no problem. Better to be working on your own car rather than sit around and BS with the other techs.
Scott