Upgrade Questions . . .

SetofAces

Jan 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
Hey guys,

Just a few questions about my build: I'm doing a H/C/I swap on my '89 non-HO crown vic motor and I'm curious about a few things. I recently bought some rebuilt E7's ($40!) and had them mildly ported (basically just had my local shop take the bump out of the exhaust ports and clean up the intake a tiny bit), and I just bought an exploder intake on ebay and I'm thinking of going with the e-303 cam.

I don't want to waste any more money on these heads or the valvetrain, and I've read that I can't go past .500 lift with the stock springs; I'm pretty sure the e-303 will work, but is there a better choice out there? I'll likely upgrade to better heads in the fall, or possibly put a blower on, but I don't want to compromise performance in the short run, either.

I'm pretty sure that the throttle body I have right now should be upgraded, will anything bigger than 65mm bolt onto my gt40 intake without modification?

This motor has 14 lb. injectors, but would 19 lb. injectors be enough to support everything else that I'm doing? I can get them cheap locally. . . but are the fuel rails on a non-HO smaller than on the HO motor? How do I upgrade the intake tubing to accommodate a larger TB and/or MAF (ok I mean what do I use)?

Aside from the mods I have listed, my car only has some sort of short-ram air filter w/ a universal tube and a bassani x-pipe w/ flowmasters that dump by the axles . . . am I missing anything else that I should upgrade that would be a bottleneck in the system with the upgrades that I have planned (oh yeah besides headers, any ideas on what kind I can use that are cheap)?

Finally: any guess as to what kind of HP I can expect from these mods? I figure I should gain over 100 hp from where I'm at right now but beyond that I don't know (remember, it's a non-HO motor, feels like it's making about 150 hp despite its relatively high compression)

Many questions, I know, thanks anyone that takes the time to answer.

• Sponsors (?)

I just found out that I have an A9p computer in my car, which is apparently intended for a non-california MAF 5.0 with an AUTOMATIC; I have a 5speed, will this affect performance? Also, the computer was throwing a code for the MAP sensor, which I believe my car isn't supposed to have . . . not that it's supposed to have the non-HO motor in it, either . . .

i know the computer wont matter, my car was orignally an auto and is now a stick with the same computer. ive heard that the auto comps actually have a little different tune in them and have a slight edge, but dont know for sure (probably not noticeable anyway). just make sure things are jumpered right when you get around to wiring it up.

you will want to make sure you have an h.o. roller cam in the motor though, as it has a different firing order than the plain vic motor you got.

19lbers are what came stock on the h.o.'s and would work fine with what you have in mind, and will work best with the comp you have, and again make sure you have a 19lb calibrated maf.