Upgrade to long tubes or stay with shorties

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
When I change my tranny, I am thinking of swapping in long tubes. I want to here from everyone whether it would be better for me to stay with my MAC Unequal lenght shorty headers or go ahead and find a set of Long tubes to help my car breath for the future, or are the shorties plenty for now until I get really serious with the motor? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I think I will do the long tubes for the future, unless something happens....how much of a PITA will it be with the car ont he ground, I know we will have to jack the motor up, but is that crap hard or not? Just time consuming?

25thmustang said:
I had shorties and a Catted Mac H... ran a 13.89 @ 98

Added LTs, and a prochamber, as well as pulleys... ran 13.05 @ 103

Go Long Tubes.

I'd atribute that to the the offroad/Prochamber and the pullies. A stock motor will not see as large of a gain with long tubes, they really come alive in the higher rpm and power adder cars.

BLWNSTG- If you want to change exhaust systems then I would do the long tubes and some type of Offroad pipe X or H. What about the new PA emissions laws.... May want to look into that before you waste money.

Just my $.02

I'm planning the same swap this spring when i put a T5 back in my car. What LTs do you guys recommend? I'm thinking MAC for cheapness, and i've heard they go on and fit perfect without any problems you hear about with the steering shaft. One thing i know for sure, there are few things as evil sounding as a cammed stroker running open LTs. I've got a sound clip but have no way of posting it.

Rick 91GT said:
I'd atribute that to the the offroad/Prochamber and the pullies. A stock motor will not see as large of a gain with long tubes, they really come alive in the higher rpm and power adder cars.

BLWNSTG- If you want to change exhaust systems then I would do the long tubes and some type of Offroad pipe X or H. What about the new PA emissions laws.... May want to look into that before you waste money.

Just my $.02

rick...yeah I know the emmision laws are coming :bang: I am still tossing the idea up in my head, I may jut wait till I look for heads/cam/intake and stuff then I can go ahead and go full out with the exhaust, this way I will have more money for the tranny swap right now