Fox Upper Control Arm bushings...

My92cashtrap

May 11, 2019
Holland MI
I'm installing non-adjustable tubular UCA and LCA on my 92LX this weekend. I need to replace the upper control arm bushings on the axle. MMR offers a rubber stock style unit, and in the verbiage they talk about never installing poly bushes in the axle as it needs to move some. Yet on LMR all that is offered is poly and spherical bushings.

My car is a street driven poser ~400hp sunny day weekend car.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

I'll be interested to hear the responses. I redid everything on the front of my car over the winter and plan on doing the rear this fall/winter. I ordered a kit that came with most of the stuff needed, but it is all poly stuff.

My upper bushings are Spherical and the upper arms are as well . Lower arms are poly . My torque boxes were reinforced a while ago .

I have new uppers as mine are worn after about 4-5 years of being in the car . Clunky yes , a little more NVH of course . But never an issue . If you’re looking for something more quiet do the rubber In the rear .

NEVER, EVER use poly... RUBBER.. stock.. only way. If you do not, and put a poly or other in there, it'll deflect like crazy and your car will handle like azz.

Get the cheap rubber ones, dude. Trust me.

(In the uppers, I have poly everywhere else lol)

In fact, edit: Max Motorsports explains exactly why not to do this.. please go look it up for a better explanation. Just go order their Extreme LCA's with the spherical bushings, lol.

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I ordered the rubber bushings from MM. I have subframe connectors, but I have not reinforced my torque boxes, or any other bracing. Plus its my street car...I'm older, and won't engage in any real racing.

I also ordered their bushing removal tool...

Reactions: 2 users
I ordered the rubber bushings from MM. I have subframe connectors, but I have not reinforced my torque boxes, or any other bracing. Plus its my street car...I'm older, and won't engage in any real racing.

I also ordered their bushing removal tool...

You will be fine. I'm running 500+ rwhp and never reinforced my t.boxes either.. lol.. you will be juuuust fine. Enjoy! Do you have the install tool for the uppers?

The cup and threaded bolt to push them back into the pumpkin? Lemme tell ya.... worth it.......

I've haven't installed spherical bushings yet, but there was a thread on here not to long ago about someone getting one stuck using the MM install/removal tool. I dont think they lubed them properly. Make sure to read the instructions from MM!

Reactions: 1 user
I've haven't installed spherical bushings yet, but there was a thread on here not to long ago about someone getting one stuck using the MM install/removal tool. I dont think they lubed them properly. Make sure to read the instructions from MM!
Spherical bushings as in heim joints like I have ? You better put them in the freezer for the night before you install them .

• Useful
I to have Maximum Motorsports (MM) lower control arms with uerethane bushings and stock upper control arms with brand new rubber bushings due to having installed a MM panhard bar. I also bought their bushing install/removal tool. It made for an interesting project and I was happy when it was done. As mentioned, follow the directions -lots of lithium grease to the removal tool bolt. I heavily applied silicone grease to all my urethane bushings and traditional grease to all my rubber bushings, but eventually all your urethane bushings will squeak.

Plus its my street car...I'm older, and won't engage in any real racing.

People always think it's the drag strip that damages the torque boxes, which sometimes it is, but at times it can be basic street driving, on bends, driveways, bumps that's when the rear articulates causing all kinds of binding, which stress the boxes in all different directions.

Update: Put the car up on jackstands to inspect what I was getting myself into. The PO said he had not addressed the rear suspension prior to selling. So I crawl under the car and see... double adjustable UCA's with heim joint at the body and stock rubber bushings in the axle...not old but not new. And the LCS's were "box" style with poli bushes both sides...and no rear sway bar. Not even the provisions on them to mount one.

So I'm a little torn as to what are my next steps. The UCA's look robust. I will replace the axle bushings with new rubber bushings. I'm a little torn on the LCA's as I want a sway bar, and will eventually replace the current Lakewood shocks and springs with something else.

The car currently does not have either front or rear sway bars. But the quad shock mounts are still there...

I'd put some of the new Maximum Motorsports lower control arms that have poly in both ends and the sway bar brackets. And since you say you are older, not a every weekend racer, and it's a pleasure car, is sell the adjustable uppers and put some new stock uppers. Is also put the front sway bar on for sure. I use to drive mine around in my holy terror street racing days....not good for curves at all. With the MM arms the quads aren't needed. Just my thoughts.

PS...do some googling on the cheap boxed control arm bushings. Downright scary.

I'd put some of the new Maximum Motorsports lower control arms that have poly in both ends and the sway bar brackets. And since you say you are older, not a every weekend racer, and it's a pleasure car, is sell the adjustable uppers and put some new stock uppers. Is also put the front sway bar on for sure. I use to drive mine around in my holy terror street racing days....not good for curves at all. With the MM arms the quads aren't needed. Just my thoughts.

PS...do some googling on the cheap boxed control arm bushings. Downright scary.

Quads aren't neccessary.. but they help unless you are running a TA or PB.

Or you have big rims, lol. I have the extreme MM lowers with sphericals on both ends.. they are amazing.. but I still run my quads. Once the TA and PB go on, those come off. For a street car, it doesn't hurt to have them there.

Also.. dude.. get your swaybars on haha.. to the other guy :p

Also agree, sell the adjustable uppers and go stockers.. rubber bushings.. and good MM lowers.. you will be wayy happier.

I have J&M lowers,(at the time MM didn't have their sport series arms) and stock uppers, no quads. The important thing is that the bushings allow for the articulation of the rear. Drag race only cars don't matter so much, they're going in a straight line. A street, road race, or autocross car, needs to allow for the rear to pivot, as the car leans in a corner the control arms need to twist, hard poly bushings do not allow this. When you throw a panhard bar into the equation, the upper control arms actually need to change length slightly, therefore only stock rubber has the compliance to allow this. I have said this before, (I don't work for, or have any financial interest) go to Maximum Motorsports tech section, even if you don't use their products, there is a wealth of information there. Be careful, you can get lost in there, like You Tube, and realize you have wasted the whole evening reading up on stuff you didn't know you needed to know:thinking:

• Agree
I have J&M lowers,(at the time MM didn't have their sport series arms) and stock uppers, no quads. The important thing is that the bushings allow for the articulation of the rear. Drag race only cars don't matter so much, they're going in a straight line. A street, road race, or autocross car, needs to allow for the rear to pivot, as the car leans in a corner the control arms need to twist, hard poly bushings do not allow this. When you throw a panhard bar into the equation, the upper control arms actually need to change length slightly, therefore only stock rubber has the compliance to allow this. I have said this before, (I don't work for, or have any financial interest) go to Maximum Motorsports tech section, even if you don't use their products, there is a wealth of information there. Be careful, you can get lost in there, like You Tube, and realize you have wasted the whole evening reading up on stuff you didn't know you needed to know:thinking:

I just explained all this to them.. haha. It's like it's 2002.