Fox Upper Intake

Looking online and dreaming of upgrades I see upper intake manifolds for my 87 5.0 efi VIN F but the throttle body/air intake all face towards the passenger side in the pictures while my air box is on the driver's side.

Is it just as simple as flipping it the other way? I can't find anything with the search terms I'm using regarding this specifically and didn't know if it had something to do with being a Canadian built car or if I'm just being a dork.

Thanks folks.

• Sponsors (?)

Some guy posted a photo many years ago with it on the driver's side. His engine was out of a town car I think. It looked very odd.

Well, these are in LTD wagons, an 87 and 89. Both breathe through the driver's side and battery is on passenger. The 87 is the first pic and is Canadian.

Attachments

• 20170204_214719.jpg
    20170204_214719.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 317
  • 20170204_214831.jpg
    20170204_214831.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 373
In the boot? You got mud guards too? Maybe a bonnet?
Just kidding, where you from? Darn sure not southeastern us
I am from NC. I spent the past six years on and off in Ireland and Wales. Some of language came back with me. It drives my wife mad. She is a redneck.

Last edited:
Thats a hoot, I had a friend from new Zealand that used one of my cars when in town, first time he hid the keys 'under the mud guard' took me awhile to find them, I didn't have any mud guards (flaps) on my car, hilarious.

Well, these are in LTD wagons, an 87 and 89. Both breathe through the driver's side and battery is on passenger. The 87 is the first pic and is Canadian.
Ok not dealing with a mustang, that threw me, intakes can be installed either way I would think, just pay attention to vac lines, what intakes are you looking at?

Yes, it's that simple. The stock HO upper intake can simply be flipped around and bolted to your stock lower. The lower intake on your car is the same as the stock Mustang HO lower.

Below is my '90 Grand Marquis. Not sure why Ford did these and only these cars the way the did. I think it has something to do with the placement of the A/C compressor, lines and box in the engine bay.

DSC_0153.JPG DSC_0152.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Ok not dealing with a mustang, that threw me, intakes can be installed either way I would think, just pay attention to vac lines, what intakes are you looking at?

Not looking at anything specific, just browsing my local craigslist and see 'mustang' parts that I figured ought to fit should I ever get to the point of going above and beyond a daily driver.

I will need to replace the lower intake though at some point because doing the radiator, hoses and waterneck on the side of the road resulted in a broken (original) bolt in the neck which got mangled during extraction. The hole in the lower manifold got wallered out a bit too and we ended up with a bigger bolt, but it leaks a tad still, so going to have to pull it all fully and replace at some point.

Was thinking if I gathered enough 'new' parts I might do the topside all at once; high flow air filter, bigger throttle body, upper and lower manifolds, maybe heads and of course all the gaskets and tubing involved.

Like I said in the op, dreaming...

In the meantime I work the hell outta my wagon, just rolled 200k two days ago, and getting 20mpg highway.

Yes, it's that simple. The stock HO upper intake can simply be flipped around and bolted to your stock lower. The lower intake on your car is the same as the stock Mustang HO lower.

Below is my '90 Grand Marquis. Not sure why Ford did these and only these cars the way the did. I think it has something to do with the placement of the A/C compressor, lines and box in the engine bay.

DSC_0153.JPG DSC_0152.JPG
Excellent, thank you. Looking at the ads for new products I saw that the IAC and EGR were swapped front to back correlating with the intake pointing the other way which gave me hope that the answer you provided was the reality.

Thank you very much.

Here's something to think about when your looking to up grade, I believe that those engines are a little different than our 50's, I know that the piston is not notched with the eye brows that the ho's in the mustang has. They have a bowl and I think are lower compression, not sure, a check of the firering order will tell. Ho motors have the same order as the 351 does, not sure but yours maybe different, also it's a speed density system, some mods don't take well.
If I'm wrong on any of this info I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me.
Don't get discouraged, still stuff you can do I'm sure.

Here's something to think about when your looking to up grade, I believe that those engines are a little different than our 50's, I know that the piston is not notched with the eye brows that the ho's in the mustang has. They have a bowl and I think are lower compression, not sure, a check of the firering order will tell. Ho motors have the same order as the 351 does, not sure but yours maybe different, also it's a speed density system, some mods don't take well.
If I'm wrong on any of this info I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me.
Don't get discouraged, still stuff you can do I'm sure.

I never get discouraged, brother. If that were true I wouldn't drive a 30 year old car! At least not for long. Thanks for the tips, still researching so maybe someday...

@karthief is correct. The 5.0 Ford put in the panther platform cars has the non-HO/351 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 firing order. I'm not sure about compression or piston design, but I do know that the heads are not that great; stock Mustang E7 heads are actually an upgrade.

@karthief is correct. The 5.0 Ford put in the panther platform cars has the non-HO/351 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 firing order. I'm not sure about compression or piston design, but I do know that the heads are not that great; stock Mustang E7 heads are actually an upgrade.

Like this:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/5943577989.html

Used set of e7 foxbody heads. Good for porting and installing larger valves. There isn't anything wrong with them other than being dirty. They have been in my shop for a while. $50 firm. I also have forged 89 GT Pistons with rods, roller lifters, HO cam, a roller block, an edelbrock performer intake for 302 and a brand new never used 65k hei distributor. Thanks

Just be careful when buying an used 5.0 off CL. I've seen a few advertised as mustang engines but are from a crown Vic or town car or thunderbird and feature the intake the other way. They are not the same.

And the intakes can be made to mount either way depending on vehicle

Just locate an early Ford Explorer intake with the internal EGR. They are plentiful and cheap and the EGR ones are more desirable even if not utilized. $75-100 or so.

The most powerful factory 5.0, the Australian Falcon 5.0 used a version of the explorer upper. Btw I'd love the get my hands on the factory EGR delete spacer
IMG_9975.JPG

Last edited: