UPR Reverse Glow gauge face kit

I have a 2004 Mustang V6

I got this kit and I have installed and when I was installing it I was looking for a switched source. Now I checked the back of the headlight switch and the only switched 12v I found was the line that controlled the console and gauge brightness and the voltage varies with light brightness. I was wary of using this because I felt the Reverse Glow light need a steady 12v to run the transformer that runs the lights. Now I got impatient and wound up using the 12v line to the radio. It is switched but also always on when the car and now so are my gauge lights. So I am going back in search of the line off the headlight switch that makes the headlights come on. I would appreciate if any of you guys know which color wire that is?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I am happy with them

I will try to post a pic of the new gauges. I have a slow dial up connection so I will test to see if will work when I get home. I'm working the graveyard shift now. Last one and then on to days after a break......Thank Goodness! :D

According to my wiring diagram, the brown lead coming out of the headlight switch should be a constant +12V when the lights are on. Did you check that?

If that doesn't work, you might be able to use the dimmer lead for the radio. There are two wires coming from the factory harness, a dimmer lead that varies in voltage with the dash lights, and an illumination lead that is just on/off for aftermarket radios. I'm not sure, but I think the illumination lead is hot when the headlights are on, which is what you need.

If you have an aftermarket radio with an adaptor that plugs into the factory harness, the dimmer and illumination leads are usually orange and orange with a black stripe.
If you have the factory radio, just test all the terminals in the factory harness until you find the one that is hot with the headlights. I don't know what color the wire is.

Hi, just wanted to butt in real quick.. I don't have the first clue how to install these gauges; I took my car to a shop. They had to get a new transformer because the one UPR includes is junk. It went out on me 2 weeks after I got them in. So, get a good transformer first. Since I did that, I have had mine in for over a year now, and not a problem. I took a picture with my digital camera; it's a bit fuzzy, but that's pretty much what they look like. I had the brightness turned all the way up in my car, that's why you can see it reflecting off the steering wheel. You can dim it down if you want. Just thought you might want to see this picture. Enjoy!

Attachments

• bluegauges.JPG
    bluegauges.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 176
I installed mine about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I connected it with the wire leading to my headlight switch (don't recall the color). It only comes on with the headlights/foglights and looks awesome.
One prob, though. I had to take 2 of the needles off and now they aren't calibrated correctly. Where can I go to get this taken care of?

sandman0023 said:
I installed mine about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I connected it with the wire leading to my headlight switch (don't recall the color). It only comes on with the headlights/foglights and looks awesome.
One prob, though. I had to take 2 of the needles off and now they aren't calibrated correctly. Where can I go to get this taken care of?

Which needles were taken off?

Thanks For the Replies

The Brown wire was the one. Thanks for all the answers and comments.

I taped all my gauge needle to 12 o'clock position with the low stick painter tape. Then slid the new gauge face down over the needles and pulled the tape out with tweezers.

Enough fluff for now. Santa is coming.....my wish list has :
K&N Filter
and a High flow exhaust.

Merry Christmas!!!! to all!! :nice:

Well, I guess the easiest way to correct those would be to pull the cluster out again and carefully pull the needles off and move them the required amount. The speedo shouldn't be too difficult since you know how many degrees is equal to 5 MPH. For the temp, get the car warmed up and put the needle in the middle of the range. Close enough for government work! :D

sandman0023, are you ATC at NSAWC?

I was considering getting gauges like that until i found my MAC white faced gauges, very sexy. At the time we were worried about the wiring since we (my pop and I) would be doing the install ourselves. I think the MAC white faced ones look better with my silver 35th gauge bezel than it would with some of the reverse glows...
Although we ddint mind wiring the foglights... lol =D

To set the speedo, have a friend pace you at a set amount, and then GENTLY put the needle back on at the agreed upon speed.

If you yanked the RPM needle, barring any gear changes, I think at 65mph, you should be around 1750 rpm in 5th or O/D. Idle should be around 750-775.

The temp guage should be around then "R" or "M" when warmed up.

If this is on a 99+, use the calibration cheat on your odometer.