Urgent help! CEL on and cannot find any answers!

joshjwc9

Jun 12, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
During my drive to and from work, my CEL came on, shooting codes p0352 both times, Ignition Coil B Primary circuit fault. Car has not had any major modifications done other than clutch work in the past month.

Please help! Is it a COP on its way out and if so which cylinder is it?

• Sponsors (?)

well from what I just found on google I would say Coil B means if my common sense is right would be cylinder number 2 , which on a 4.6 is the second cylinder back on the passenger side , so I would replace that one coil , erase the code and drive the car to see if it comes back , I am assuming they are lettered A-H as in cylinders 1-8

P0351 Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0353 Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0354 Ignition Coil D Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0355 Ignition Coil E Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0356 Ignition Coil F Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0357 Ignition Coil G Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0358 Ignition Coil H Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction

Well thats weird that it would throw that code...you didnt mention any missfire or rough idling?

Like for instance...my cobra keeps knocking out a spark plug...and its following a specific coil pack. Yet I have no codes at all and the car is missing completely one 1 cylinder at idle...it has no idea anything is wrong lol.

but I 100% agree with the above poster....buy a new coil pack and see if it goes away. or if you have a friend with a GT...swap the #2 with his and see if his develops the problem. That will save you some cash if its a wiring issue somewhere and not the coil pack.

If it missed it was for about a half a second at the beginning of 5th after I noticed the CEL was on, but when I saw the CEL I put it under a very light load in 4th and it didnt miss....I am gonna buy one at autozone to replace the COP because I believe that my cylinder has a aftermarket COP on that cylinder. I hope that works because I looked all over the internet and almost nobody had their car throw this code..

You can always buy a spare COP from a junkyard.... if its bad, you're only out of a few bucks. Before you spend any money, I recommend that you pull and check the plugs for fouling, lean burning, oil, etc. How old are the COP boots? Pull em and check the spring/coils inside the boot.... are they rusted, corroded? If so, replace. If not, examine COP boot for splits or rubbing marks. If good, keep and regrease with dielectric grease ($5 at parts house). Re-install boots and plugs, swap the suspected BAD COP (cylinder #2 in your case) with cylinder #1's COP. Reset the PCM and see if the CEL pops back up but with a different code for the #1 cylinder this time.

#2 is the forward most cylinder on the drivers side, I BELIEVE, but verify this yourself.

Make sure your part is bad before you spend the $ to replace it. Otherwise, you could replace damn near everything before you find the right problem.

I know you have a COP CEL but if replacing the COP doesn't help, may I recommend checking your upstream o2 sensors? My 02 GT (stock) was missing and hesitating but never threw a code. I read a few threads about the upstream sensors and swapped them out.... problem solved.

Also, check ROCKAUTO DOT COM for parts.... VERY cheap. $80/ea for o2 sensors at the stealership..... $31/ea on rockauto.

Good luck.

.... and check the wiring harness going to the COP's. A small dab of dielectric grease in the boot will help, too. It keeps moisture out and the rubber boot "sucked" in place.

GL and post back with an update, please.

Chris

I babied the car to work and home today, with an extra COP in the passenger seat with me, no CEL thrown, but there were two stored codes, P1000 and P0420 (Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold or something like that), with it being colder here in the past few days and the amount of miles I put on it in the past week, I am starting to believe that I have possibly a misfire and/or a exhaust leak.

Po 1000 is your pcm.when you reset your cel the 1st time the pcm goes into its own drive cycle that resets multifunctions.that will go away with long easy drive.causes 4 po420 include cop and misfire and indicates bank 1.you can use your predator to watch most problems when running .good luck hope this helps

I let the thing cool down and after feeling a misfire in forth, I replaced the coil with the new one, no stored codes other than the p1000 on my way home and I couldnt feel a noticeable miss like earlier, tomorrow is my day off so I will probably just go out and drive around the block and run my errands...I am hoping that when the car relearns its fuel trims and so on this miss goes away.

Would a slight exhaust leak on the passenger side midpipe to manifold cause one cylinder COP to starting missing?

Oh yeah and part of my errands is to pickup some caliper paint for the 13 inch brembo rotors and mach 1 calipers going on this weekend!

What about rear o2 plugs ?did u look? Your o2s work together before cat and after youp pcm counts how many times it switches than changes pulse on injector.u must have them right will cause miss.if your car doesnt havd a hard fault the cel can take up to 3day to come on

CEL popped on on my way to work, same code, p0352, checked the wiring and it looks good running into the rest of the wire loom holding the COP wires, so I ended up putting the car back to stock with the Diablo and reinstalling the Diablo tune, no problems yet.

What should I be watching for in the o2's?
Is there a fuse that I can replace on the fuse block?