URGENT!!!

stlboarder

Founding Member
Jul 1, 2002
Arizona
I was just driving my '95 and I took a turn then all of a sudden my wheel jerked to the right so then I jerked it back. Then it would steer real jerky. When I stopped and tried to turn the car off the ignition just spun. The key wouldn't turn the engine off and I could take the key out. What the hell happend?

• Sponsors (?)

The module for your ignition got screwed up when you turned hard, however unlikely it was that it was due to turning the wheel hard. Take apart the plastic piece and the metal gaurd underneath the dash, just below the steering column. You will see a white plastic module with a few wires hanging out of the top. When you get it out, you will see a metal pole sticking out of the side. Either you screwed up this module, or the actual turnkey module up in the steering column. The key module basically just moves a lever to go down to that first module and move that metal stick back and forth. Since the ignition kept spinning, i would think it's the bottom white one. However, the turnkey stuff may also be bad, or the culprit because you could take the key out and it kept going, right? I know i didn't even need the key to start my car before it got crashed, and i had to replace the module under the dash once.
Hope it helps!
Lee

Alright I took off that white module. Is it supposed to be real notchy and kinda hard to move? Should it be easy to move? When I had it off I noticed the rod up in the column was not lined up with the rod. Is there supposed to be a spring in there to move it back?

Should I just goto carquest or pepboys and get a new module? How much will it be?

1) yes it's supposed to be notchy, that's what puts the key in the right position and the clicks set the switches for all thos little electrical connections on the bottom.
2) Make sure it all lines up really nice, because this switch is what would tell your motor to turn over or not. If it doesn't line up at all, it may be broken in the column, however, it's doubtfull.
3) Yeah, just go to peppy's or something and get a new one. Mine was like 20 bucks at autozone

I'm pretty sure that if you push the lever all the way forward it's supposed to turn over. I didn't really check it when i did it myself. You might as well try a new module, and make sure all the wire connections are good and solid too.

Alright... so I replaced the white ignition module and it still doesn't start. I took it back off of the column and tried to just push the lever and it doesn't start either. It just turns all the electronics on and off.

NOW WHAT?!!!

Well, i guess you could check all of the electronic connections again. You say the "ignition spun" right? do you mean the starter kept spinning? You also say the key wouldn't turn the engine off? So how did you get it to stop in the end? Pull the battery or what? You may need a new starter. Did the fuel pump keep going or no? I hope you paid good attention to all that stuff. Hey, this is still cheaper than going to the shop, running it through a 100 dollar computer and haveing them replace the parts and have 60 bucks an hour labor! You can email me too at [email protected]
If ya live near Chicago, i may be able to get out there and give ya hand.

I just changed the key and cylinder and it still doesn't work. I don't think it is the fuel pump because I can still pop-start it to get it started. I have only done that 3 times so I can move it though. To get it to stop you can't just unhook the battery because the alternator still powers it... I have tried. I just put on the parking brake and let the clutch out smoothly until it killed the engine. Then I unplugged the battery so it wouldn't drain it.

When I was driving it earlier today I wanted to see if the started was fried... so I turned the key while it was running and it made the grinding noise like it does when the engine is already running. But it won't try and crank when it is not started and it won't shut off.

I was talking to a buddy mechanic of mine and he said that in tilt steering sometimes the rod inside of the column will break. But I swore that I saw it moving... but then at one point it came out and you could see the end. Now that I think about it I think that the rod is busted. Son OF A BITCH!... I HATE THIS CRAP!... I'm gonna go smash something.

I AM THIS CLOSE TO RUNNING IT OFF OF A CLIFF!!!

It won't try and crank at ALL when the car isn't started, but DOES when the car IS started. I hate to say it, but you may need to bring it to a mechanic. Your computer may be gone, and before you replace that, i'd have them check it out. sorry i couldn't be of any more help though.

I know!... I will get a camera and tape me driving it off the cliff and then I will sell the tapes to make my money back!

Not really though... I think I am going to just give-up and take it to a mechanic.