Use a supercharger off of an older T-brd?

Gr0und_Fault

May 26, 2004
I was wondering if anyone has taken a super charger off of an older T-bird SC and put it on their V6 Mustang. The idea crossed my mind, and I was just a bit curious to see if anyone has done this before........

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks. Yeah, I have a 95' so it should be possible then, huh? Well, from what a buddy of mine said, it should't be that hard to take of and put on. I just need to look for a T-bird SC now then.

it's a hella lot of work and you basically need the entire t-bird engine because it came with forged internals to take the stress of the roots type blower, and if you were to use your existing motor you would spend ~6k on getting all the parts need and fabbing up all the custom brackets and what not. It would cost less and be a whole lot less work for you to just get an 11 psi prochrager kit and you would be making lots more power and you wouldn't need forged internals because the procharger is a centrifucal type blower that puts less stain on the engine... btw you would only make about 40-50 more hp with the tbird supercharger

Um...yea...guys please don't post false information. Its just not nice. Putting a tbird supercharger on your car is pointless. 97...thanks for shedding some light on the situation

1. It doesn't add much more hp
2. It will cost you as much or more then a vortech and make less power
3. It is a pain in the ass to do the conversion
4. You won't be able to boost much at all due to not forged pistons
5. It would be cheaper to swap an entire tbird engine and supercharger then to just do the supercharger alone.
6. There are about 30 other reasons not to.

Gr0und_Fault said:
I was wondering if anyone has taken a super charger off of an older T-bird SC and put it on their V6 Mustang. The idea crossed my mind, and I was just a bit curious to see if anyone has done this before........

I don't have a V6 mustang, I have a V8 but I just purchased the mustang in my signature with a Eaton M90 Supercharger (7 lbs boost) off a Thunderbird Supercoupe. Works very well in my application.

Even better, is all of the custom fitting/fabrication was done already. So any gain, was good for me.... Check my sig for pics, it will give you an idea of the work involved.

94 3.8l stang said:
Nice Fox body. I'm looking for one of those in descent shape, some shotty welds on the piping for a supercharger, but still is very clean. I like it. :nice:

Thanks, I looked for about a year and a half until I found this car. Most cars in Michigan are all rusted and abused.... some even driven in winter =(

This winter when I rebuild the engine I'm also going to have my uncle weld up a new pipe. He works with aluminum and other metals in his shop and says he could do a much better welding job.

there is soon to be a kit to bolt on a pre 99 and 99 up v6 to run the roots blower or any roots blower such as and 03 cobra take off or bigger, its supposed to be done very soon....

but that being said the motor wont hold much abuse... being a roots blower it builds boost down low and alot of tq the motor wont last with much more than 6-8psi for very long maybe 10..... if you had forged internals then you would be good to go.

SpectorV said:
there is soon to be a kit to bolt on a pre 99 and 99 up v6 to run the roots blower or any roots blower such as and 03 cobra take off or bigger, its supposed to be done very soon....

but that being said the motor wont hold much abuse... being a roots blower it builds boost down low and alot of tq the motor wont last with much more than 6-8psi for very long maybe 10..... if you had forged internals then you would be good to go.
We'll Ive been looking at the kit you are takling about but I hope it does come out. Seems like the guy has all but disapeared these days.