Used blower- what to look for

94v6GT

May 13, 2006
I can pick up a powerdyne kit for less than $1k from a local guy. I know everyone knocks the powerdynes, but for less than a grand its under 1/3 the price of a KB :drool:. what should i check for on the blower? any tell-tale signs it will need a rebuild soon? what questions should i ask? :scratch:
-I know powerdynes go for cheap all the time for a reason, but since i can look and touch before i buy, it may be worth it.

I need a checklist i guess. thanx

• Sponsors (?)

Check to make sure it spins freely and does not make any noise. Not sure of a way to check the internal belt unless you take it apart.
How many miles?
What pulley? Would be best if it has a 6 lb pulley, over 3", that will mean it has not been overspun. You can change out the pulley to a 9 lb pulley. If it has the 6 lb pulley, it probly will not come with a recirc valve due to the low boost. Even with the 9 lb pulley, you will probly not make 9 pounds of boost. I only got 6 psi on the dyno with my 9 lb pulley on my Cobra.
I got mine cheap used also, had it for over 2 years with no issues. I might just be lucky.
You should get it, it is a cheap way to get into a supercharger as I'm on a budget also. I gained 90 rwhp with the addition of the Powerdyne supercharger.

check my recent new threads... i just asked this and there was a great link to powderdyne users REVIEWS .... and where are you located... i ran into the same deal but did not follow up the impellar fins were a bit messed up and he didn't have the FMU

muncie indiana

yea thats the kind of things i gotta check. I've long been convinced the BD11 isnt ideal. But at less than $1k it gets me in the blower game now. Not worried about over revving or being gentle since this car sees the track once a year MAYBE.
- So the fins shouldnt be ragedy, what about the rest of the kit? anything else that can wear out?

Ill prob get it anyways since, unlike Ebay, if he screws me i can find em:chair:

What about mountign brackets, and all of that stuff.. I have seen a few GREAT deals that have cost almsot a new blower KIT due to missing a couple small items...

Is it still on the car???