Used heads... how to tell if stem seals/retainers/valve locks/etc are okay?

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
I just got a set of Trick Flow heads off ebay. I'm planning on purchasing cam-related stuff in a few weeks, and was wondering if I'm going to need new valve stem seals/locks/retainers.

Being that these are the first set of heads I've ever actually picked up and looked at, I have no idea if mine are okay (assuming it is even possible to tell from cursory inspections). Is there an easy way to check? I'm taking the heads in to get milled .030" soon as well, should I just ask him to take a look for me (or will it require $100 of labor)?

The heads are fairly new, about 1,000 miles on them, so I'm hoping I can skip that stuff... Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

to inspect anything have heads disassembled first. the most important is to check if your valve guides are not worn - valve lifted about 1/8" should not deviate to side more than 0.020". Then measure valve stem diameters, if they are thinner more than 0.001" at the ends overhaul is recommended (+grind the valve seats, install new inserts). But these should be OK if the heads are really 1000 miles

To the dude who IMed me yesterday, sorry I didn't get back to you (didn't get home until 10pm and was so spent that I crashed 10 minutes later)... the machine shop I use is:

RD Machine
9666 Owensmouth Ave Unit S
Chatsworth, CA 91311
818-882-0500

Actually I've never used them before, but Rusty67 recommended them and they seemed like good guys from when I've talked to them. I'm goign to be dropping my heads off tomorrow or early next week and I'll lety ou know how it goes.

Locks and retainers you can visually inspect yourself for obvious dings, deformities, or anything along those lines. Also inspect the valves where the locks seat in and look for burrs. As far as valve seals, I would replace them with new ones regardless of the miles on them.

Curious why the .030 grind off of them if they are only 1000 miles? Are you trying to increase compression? Not worth it IMO.