Using 98GT donor for 5-lug conversion ?

defcondaze

Nov 3, 2004
I have a 90 gt that im thinking of converting to 5 lug.
i was able to buy a 98 gt parts car for cheap and it has 17"chrome bullits, im considering putting them on my car.

the tires are 245/45/17, will the 98 spindles work ok ?
Also I would like to use the front and rear calipers and only buy different rear axles if possible?

• Sponsors (?)

also..you will need to shim the spindles when connecting it to the shock..becuase the fox spindles are bigger.
Only if his car is a 4 cyl car with 4 cyl brakes. The V8 spindles are the same as the Sn95 spindles at the shock mounts. The 4 cyl spindles are thicker.

You can use the complete rear brakes and the axles from the 98 on your car if the wheels are only 8" wide. It will move the wheels out 3/4" which will put them very nicely located in the rear wheel wells. But if you want to keep the wheel location the same, you can modify the brackets and use Ranger axles or the fox length 5 lug axles.

That pretty covered it all...just one addition about the rear discs...if you go with rear disc, you'll want to gut your factory proportioning valve, and install an adjustable proportioning valve inline to the rear brakes...the rear discs require different bias than the drums.

edit: additional info-may or may not apply to you. I swapped my rear brakes to SVO/MKVII style discs, and if it weren't for the fact mine is a pre-'87, I would've needed to modify my e-brake handle. something about the spring loaded self-adjuster pawl didn't work with discs...