V^ convert to V8 later vs 2005 V8 GT ?

Colofirefighter

Apr 4, 2005
No, I'm not nuts, just trying to explore options.

We live in the Denver area, some dealers will get you a V8 stick GT car 2-3 month lead time, some will only order a 2006 some will claim to sell at MSRP, others will add a couple thou to MSRP. One dealer has at least 2 GT stick cars coming soon.

We can easily get one of these cars, we can pay cash, but need to finish selling the wife on the idea. I could.....

1.Bid and get a slightly used one off e-bay....maybe save a couple thou ?

2. Try and snap up one of the coming V8 GT stick cars to the particular for dealer, they appear to be selling at MSRP

3. Order one and see if I can get a 2005 and get at MSRP not above

4. Heres the cray idea and I would like input !

Some dealers are over-run with premium V6 cars here, they appear to be willing to deal to get rid of some. I could get a nicely equipped premium V6 for about 20 Grrr....saving myself 8 to 10 Grr over teh V8 GT car.

Would it be worth it to drop in a 4.6 crate motor from ford afterward ? Is the tranny, rear end, drive shaft etc different for the V6 vs the V8 ? How much can one get the 4.6 from Ford ? I know exhuast will run me a grand if I go with headers....what are your thoghts and experience ???

• Sponsors (?)

I've been thinking the same thing since its almost impossible to find a GT V8 anywhere. The thought I had was to put a supercharger on a V6. You figure with the supercharger you'll end up with more horsepower than the V8 stock would have been...and you still will end up paying less than what a V8 would cost you....also...insurance will be cheaper.

Colofirefighter said:
Would it be worth it to drop in a 4.6 crate motor from ford afterward ? Is the tranny, rear end, drive shaft etc different for the V6 vs the V8 ? How much can one get the 4.6 from Ford ? I know exhuast will run me a grand if I go with headers....what are your thoghts and experience ???

No. The time, expense and crap resale value you'd get out of a 6-to-8 swapped car would kill whatever savings you may get in the first place.

Options #2 & 3 look the best to me.

Unless you're paying cash, the financing on a used one like option #1 would probably make a slightly used one more expensive than the new one.

gt420hp said:
I've been thinking the same thing since its almost impossible to find a GT V8 anywhere. The thought I had was to put a supercharger on a V6. You figure with the supercharger you'll end up with more horsepower than the V8 stock would have been...and you still will end up paying less than what a V8 would cost you....also...insurance will be cheaper.

And you'd have a brand new car with zero warranty. :notnice:

Colofirefighter said:
4. Heres the cray idea and I would like input !

Some dealers are over-run with premium V6 cars here, they appear to be willing to deal to get rid of some. I could get a nicely equipped premium V6 for about 20 Grrr....saving myself 8 to 10 Grr over teh V8 GT car.

Crazy - yes.

This would be expensive - basically everything would need changing to make it work properly, rear end (diff/axel/prop), suspension, brakes (?), ECU, wiring loom, cooling system, fuel system. And do you know if there are any structual changes (floorpan/chassis) from a V6 to V8 models, I don't but it is the sort of thing that might exists.

You would basically have to strip and rebiuld the enitre car, plus at the end of it all it may still not work as good as it should.