V3 Install Under Way Finally

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I've got blips of time over the next 2 weeks and I hope to get this thing done.

First issue is the Vortec drive pulley that goes on the crank won't fit inside my current under drive pulley. I realize I cant use my current UD pulley with this setup. My question is >>> Must I use the stock or stock size crank pulley or is there a UD pulley available that will work with the V3 drive pulley?

Note; There's no need to discuss whether I should or should not run a UD pulley for my accessories. I'v got the baddest ass radiator and alternator and I've had no problems running the current UD pulley.

If I have no choice than to revert to a crank stock pulley, that's fine. However, if there is a smaller than stock pulley that will work with the V3 drive pulley, I'd consider getting it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Sponsors (?)

I checked the vortec site and the only way to get around using a stock crank pulley is upgrade to the 8 rib SC drive. To do that I would be spending nearly $400 extra and also voiding the warranty since it would require changing the SC pulley from 6 to 8 rib as well.

Looks like Im reverting to the stock crank pulley.

But wait.... I'm already dealing with a clearance issue since my radiator and elec fan combo is so fat. The 8 rib pulley has more depth so it may not squeeze in there. Gotta do some trial and measurements.

Not enough room for an 8 or 10 rib. The final decision is the standard Vortec pulley inside a stock accessory drive pulley. Even with this I'll have to find a way to scoot the rad and AC evap forward a bit. I might be able to move it 1/2 inch. It will barely be enough with this fat radiator.

You should be able to kick the bottom of the radiator forward in the lower radiator support for more clearance. I've used the 8 rib lower many times with no fitment issues, even 10 rib setups on countless cars with very limited modifications for fitment. If it came down to it, there is not issue in running the 8 rib lower with a 6 rib belt as @a91what described

You should be able to kick the bottom of the radiator forward in the lower radiator support for more clearance. I've used the 8 rib lower many times with no fitment issues, even 10 rib setups on countless cars with very limited modifications for fitment. If it came down to it, there is not issue in running the 8 rib lower with a 6 rib belt as @a91what described

Thanks, my only effort was to retain UD accessory anyway. I wont loose much by going back to the standard size accessory drive pulley. So, I'm just going to used the supplied parts I already have along with a factory crank pulley.

BTW, anyone know what other Ford vehicles besides Foxbody I might be able to salvage the same stock crank pulley from?

With all the power to be gained with the addition of the V3, do you really need that couple extra HP from the UD pulley setup? Seems not worth the headache to keep it IMO.

Have a picture of your clearance issues? I'm with Nick, you can move the lower part of your radiator forward into the support more to gain clearance. Your radiator will be tilted slightly at an angle but not much.

I'll post some pics of the clearance issue tonight.

I'm gonna need some better rear tires too, that's for sure. Even now my Hankooks break loose at about 4k in 2nd gear. Lookin at Nitto 555. They've been working really good on my vette, even at the dragstrip.

Here's a few establishing photos. The last couple are of the fat Flexlite rad with black magic fan and the clearance to the crank hub. From the front of the hub to the fan shroud is about 4". What you see in the pic is the current pulley before dis-assembly. I'll update with more pics as I proceed.

The pulley that came with my kit is a 6" drive 6 rib for the blower. Theres a 6.87" drive available that has the accessory drive built in. I might go that route since the extra .87" would provide some extra boost. However, that pulley is an 8 rib blower drive. So, thats an extra 1/4" clearance I'll need to gain in addition to the clearance issue I have with the standard 6 rib pulley. Time to finesse the rad assembly forward and see what happens.

P1020731.jpg

P1020733.jpg

P1020732.jpg

P1020735.jpg

P1020734.jpg

P1020739_1.jpg

P1020740.jpg

I have absolutely no issue with my 3 row and that black magic on my 8rib Setup . The stock air box goes bye bye . I'd get a power pipe to make it cleaner I'm not a fan of the stock vortech dryer duct . Ditch the under drive water pump pulley to . You need that water pump to move at its correct flow . I can take pics of my car tomorrow for you with the 8 rib clearance

Edit . Check that lower hose looks like you have a small water leak

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

I have absolutely no issue with my 3 row and that black magic on my 8rib Setup . The stock air box goes bye bye . I'd get a power pipe to make it cleaner I'm not a fan of the stock vortech dryer duct . Ditch the under drive water pump pulley to . You need that water pump to move at its correct flow . I can take pics of my car tomorrow for you with the 8 rib clearance

Edit . Check that lower hose looks like you have a small water leak

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

But do you have the Flexlite radd, or just the black magic fan? The rad is a thick mofo

I'm getting there by raising it enough to shove it into the core support opening. Gotta fabricate some pads for it to rest on to prevent the tanks from chafing. I also trimmed the top of the core support so the upper part of the rad can move forward. Pics coming soon.