v6 vs. v8 exhaust

fordstang2k

Jun 22, 2003
I have a 2000 v6 mustang and i want to put on dual exhaust. My friend that just got new exhaust for his 2001 v8 gave me his stock catback and stock h-pipe. I was wonder if the H-pipe bolts up to my headers without any gaps, i wasnt sure if there is a difference in size of the fitings.

• Sponsors (?)

Mid pipe wont fit, you'll have to cut your Y pipe before the flanges and fabricate piping to the GT mufflers.

Thats what I had done to my old six, although there are companies who provide new mid pipes and dual exhaust setups.

it would have to be custom welded. there is no such factory modification (that I know of.) I wouldn't even reccomend using his GT midpipe - it is 2.5". some people say that is ok, some people run it, but i've also been told 2.5" is too big and you can loose too much compression in your exhaust, making you loose a lot of ****. 2.25 is what I have, and most v6's run on 2.25. My 2 cents

hey dont get me wrong free stuff is always an awesome thing :nice: but i would recommend taking iot to a shop and having thme put on an exhaust. thats what i did and i love it. it ends up at 3 in piping and it sounds awesome and i can feel a difference. but you have free stuff so... but try taking it to a shop and having them do the mid section. i think you will be happier in the end

first off your car is too slow, adding exhaust will only make it sound like something its not, :lol: so wut u shud do is either go buy another car or keep on making your car look fast wit decals, lol just ****in wit u nick. The gt stock exhaust is 2.25" thats including the midpipe and catback, if i were u i wouldnt bother wit the gt midpipe why wud u want somethin wit 4 cats on it just save up and buy some kind of good midpipe wit hi flow cats. I'll keep searching online for some good exhausts, in the mean time keep tabs on daniel and go get some more tint tickets on 37, i'll be home from college when my parents get over my bad grades. peace

Alright my friend referred me to a muffler shop so im gonna check it out today but i have one question and that is what sizes are the two exhaust. I think the V6 is 2" and the V8 is 2 1/4" but correct me if im wrong.

Just got back from the shop and got a price of almost $400 (thats suppose to be a deal) to have it put in using the Gt h-pipe, GT catback, and welding in 2 flowmasters that i have. Thats a rip off considering i have all the parts hes just charging me for labor, welding, and like 2 hangers to hold up the exhaust.

v6 is 2.25'' Don't get anything larger, you'll actually be losing a bit of low end torque because all of the backpressure being lost...Until of course you have a blower or ported heads / cam / intake.

It cost me $100 for the GT mufflers and pipes freshly taken off, and $90 + tax to have the GT exhaust installed on my '99 v6 about a year ago. $400 is insane.

ChrisYellowV6 said:
it would have to be custom welded. there is no such factory modification (that I know of.) I wouldn't even reccomend using his GT midpipe - it is 2.5". some people say that is ok, some people run it, but i've also been told 2.5" is too big and you can loose too much compression in your exhaust, making you loose a lot of ****. 2.25 is what I have, and most v6's run on 2.25. My 2 cents
GT factory exhaust is 2.25" not 2.5" and 2.5 inch is perfectly fine on the 3.8 you won`t loose any power at all you will gain maybe 10rwhp over the factory single exhaust. torque will most likely stay the same but you won`t loose any power going to the 2.5 duals.

i don`t know where people come up with such sillyness as loosing power going from 2.25"-2.5". that`s just plain misinformation. check out the june issue of MM&FF they added power to the 3.8 going from factory to dual 2.5" exhaust about 15rwhp with LT`s and going catless

ChrisYellowV6 said:
well every mechanic i've ever talked to has told me that i'd loose backpressure and low end torque if I went to to 2.5" pipe.
well this mechanic is saying that loosing torque is baloney by going from 2.25 single or duals to 2.5 duals. you may not gain any torque but you wont loose any either. the better breathing will add HP. the more air in and out the more power you will make.

the factory GT take offs don`t flow very good either but are fine for most lightly modded v6`s. i don`t like the GT exhaust because it limits breathing for furture mods and doesn`t expand very well when trying to fit 2.5" mufflers to the barely 2.25" pipes. they like to split when expanded. the best thing to do when using the GT takeoffs is to use a 2.25" muffler instead of a 2.5".

my 99 GT vert was a real pain in the a$$ to add 2.5 inch flow masters onto. i had to make my own mid pipes because the factory ones split about 6inches up when i tried to expand them. then i had to make adapters for the tailpipes for them to fit. for the price of aftermarket exhaust it is not worth the effort to use the GT takeoffs on the v6.

if you could fit dual 3" exhaust on a v6 it may not add any power over the 2.25 or 2.5 inch but it won`t loose any either. it goes against the laws of physics