vacuum line question

alchemist

Jul 14, 2019
north carolina
so on my son's 91 Mustang (5.0L/LX), the vacuum port on the front of the intake, the one pointing directly at the distributor cap, disintegrated. What i observed was that that the barbed steel pipe on the intake is a lot larger diameter than the plastic connector barb sitting at the base of the distributor. The vacuum line is part of the EVAP system. Is there a special Ford hose part part number? I bought a foot of Gates part 27044 (1/4" ID vacuum hose), and though it fit fine around the plastic connector barb, it was a supreme struggle to get onto the metal barb at the intake (tucked down in the damn tunnel). Please let me know what folks do for this line - I know an easy fix would be to buy 5/16" ID line and then buy a step down plastic barb, but I don't think that's what Ford had in mind.

Thanks in advance for the help.

RT

• Sponsors (?)

Look in the Help! section of the auto store parts that has all the odd fittings and nuts and bolts.

Last time I chased that rabbit, I just used some needle nose pliers to stretch the 1/4" hose opening so that it fit over the 5/16" tubing. It was either that or severely over tighten the hose clamp on the 5/16" hose. Since fuel vapor passes through that hose, I would recommend fuel resistant hose instead of just vacuum hose.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Look in the Help! section of the auto store parts that has all the odd fittings and nuts and bolts.

Last time I chased that rabbit, I just used some needle nose pliers to stretch the 1/4" hose opening so that it fit over the 5/16" tubing. It was either that or severely over tighten the hose clamp on the 5/16" hose. Since fuel vapor passes through that hose, I would recommend fuel resistant hose instead of just vacuum hose.
Thanks. Curious how it was done from the factory.