Valve to piston clearance......86GT?

I would like to purchase the TrickFlow "street heat" top engine kit for my '86 GT. I'm planning installing the intake, heads, roller rockers, and valve covers. Not the TF camshaft, I will continue to use the stock '86 cam. I fully understand that the car will not make much more power without the TF camshaft, in addition to being SD. Will I have valve to piston clearance problems with the TF Heads and 1.7 rockers using the stock '86 camshaft/pistons? The factory heads with 1.7 rockers will clear. Is there anything else I am overlooking?

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

The reason valves on aftermarket heads don't clear the pistons is not because of the camshaft, but because of the shrouded valve combustion chamber and flat-top pistons in the '86 Mustang. The camshaft is the same as the 87-88 Mustang cam.

Twisted wedge heads have a unique valve setup, so I can't say if they will interfere with the pistons or not. Other Windsor-style aftermarket heads will. Best thing to do is call Trick Flow and ask.

I'm not familiar with "street heat" system.
I am fairly certain "street heat" cylinder heads are not Twisted Wedge heads. They're more commonly known as High Ports. So what heads come with this steet heat system?

Yes, the reason I asked for valve size is most pistons do not allow for larger diameters especially the 86 H.O., and I don't know what a "street heat" system is.

Sounds like you've got a handle on it... let us know what you come up with.