valvetrain troubles

stevesLX

Nov 12, 2006
cincinnati
Well as most are aware I have been battleing valvetrain noise for 3 months now and no such luck yet as far as getting it to quiet down. If you are unaware of what I have it is as follows. 302 stock block pistons crank, F cam stock heads w/ a 3 angle valve job stock pedastal mounted steel rockers. I had my block freshened up and my heads cleaned up and a valve job done back in January and now I have valvetrain noise. I picked up a length checking pushrod and with the intake off I went thru every single one and checked the lengths. They were kinda all over the place within .010 of one another. My preload is anywhere from .040-.050 throughout my valvetrain. I have put 2 sets of lifters in this thing and get the same reults. I have new Crane beehive springs that support 5.50 lift. The Fcam is only 5.12. I have checked the clearance between the rocker and the retainer and spring and they are not touching. I really dont think this is a P to V issue because I have driven this thing now aboiut 1500 miles and the car runs super strong but is noisy as hell. Its even been to the strip and is running as I expected and I am spraying it also at that. It sounds like a sewing machine. When its at idle its for the most part quiet but as soon as you give it gas it sounds like crap. I have tried thicker oil (20w50) and that didn't help. I currently have 10w40 and a quart of the Lucas thick crap in there now and it sounds like crap. I had heard on one website that the 5.0 roller lifters were inteded for 5W30 oil. I dont know how true that is but I picked some up but haven't used it yet. They claim the bleeder hole is small and the thicker oils have a harder time getting in there. Sounds a little off the wall to me but hell I have done everything else and to no prevail nothing seems to quiet this thing down. I have also checked for exhaust leaks everywhere and nothing thats all sealed tight.:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Steve,
If it is running good, why jack with it. It is a performance car, not a Rolls-Royce. Some valvetrains are noisy even when set perfectly. A sewing machine sound is what you have when you have roller rockers. My FRPP rockers were way more quiet than my Crane pieces. I reset my valvetrain 3X because of it and figured that was the way it would be. I would use some Chevron Delo (diesel oil 15W40) it has a zinc compound in it that lessens wear. Shell Rotella is about the same thing. Just enjoy the rythmic sound of the "sewing machine on crack" (as many like to describe it) and drive.

The rockers I have on there are the factory steel rockers. They are not the roller rockers. When I say its loud you can hear it inside the car and along side other vehicles while driving or if you are along side a wall. It just makes no sense as to why it wasn't there before I had the work done to it but now it is and I have done everything I can think of to eleviate it minus buying new heads or a new block.