Variation in Ride Height

JTGrant

Aug 2, 2005
GA
I have the FORD service manual CD's, but I couldn't find any specs on factory ride hieght or variance. I measured from the bottom lip of the wheel to the arch on the wheel housing. In the front there is an 8mm difference from the left side to the right side. In the rear the difference is 10mm. Could some of you guys measure and see what the variance is on your car? I would really appreciate it. Also if anyone needs any documents or specs of any kind I have the Ford CDs from 2002 to 2008. THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

Just pulled the car in for a quick measurement. Measured like you did from the bottom lip of the rim up...

Front Driver side - 23 1/2"
Front Passenger side - 23 1/2"
Rear Driver side - 24"
Rear Passenger side - 24"

Also measured from the wheel center up...

Front Driver side - 14 1/2"
Front Passenger side - 14 1/2"
Rear Driver side - 15"
Rear Passenger side - 15"

Nothing is wrong with your springs, its normal. There are more components on one side of the car than the other which adds up to a greater weight biased on one side of the car (hence the "lean"). Plus 8 to 10 millimeters is really not that much it's more like splitting hairs. I guarantee you that your new springs will do the same thing. Thats just the way these cars are built. No worries.

Nothing is wrong with your springs, its normal. There are more components on one side of the car than the other which adds up to a greater weight biased on one side of the car (hence the "lean"). Plus 8 to 10 millimeters is really not that much it's more like splitting hairs. I guarantee you that your new springs will do the same thing. Thats just the way these cars are built. No worries.

I realize that, but 10mm is a good bit of a difference. Cars these days are built to tighter standards. I found the Ford procedure for measuring ride height, lets just say its bass ackwards. There shouldn't that much of a difference in ride height 10mm is around a 1/2 or so (.4 tenths of an inch). I guess measuring BMWs all the time before doing an alignment has made me this way. Our ride height tolerance is very tight. Yes I realize that I talking about a BMW and not a Ford, but come on. Fords are nice too, the cars does have 40,000 miles on it. I guess I will find out when I install the new springs.

I measured the ride height of my stock V6 before and after installing Steeda Sport springs.

Left side was .35 inches lower than right in front, .15 inches lower in the rear.

Same result with the new springs "settled in".

I have stock suspension, but I won't be home until Saturday afternoon, at which point I will try to remember to check.

Everyone's ride height will be different with different options. You also should not measure from any point on the wheel. Measure from level ground. Measuring from the wheel would cause slight differences in ride height because of slight differences in tire pressure. Also, if the car isn't on perfectly level ground, it will unquestionably lean to one side. Before you get too concerned about 10mm (less than half an inch), make sure none of these factors could be effecting it.

I have stock suspension, but I won't be home until Saturday afternoon, at which point I will try to remember to check.

Everyone's ride height will be different with different options. You also should not measure from any point on the wheel. Measure from level ground. Measuring from the wheel would cause slight differences in ride height because of slight differences in tire pressure. Also, if the car isn't on perfectly level ground, it will unquestionably lean to one side. Before you get too concerned about 10mm (less than half an inch), make sure none of these factors could be effecting it.

THIS IS WHY YOU CHECK THE TIRE PRESSURE BEFORE YOU CHECK RIDE HEIGHT. Look at almost every macfacturers procedure before an alignment. The usual measurement is from the bottom of the wheel to the arch on the wheel well. There are a few other places to check ride height, but this is usually the quickest and easiest way before an alignment. It is accurate. I made sure that there were no other factors in my measurement. I even measured the car on the alignment rack, which is level. I also measured from the top of the strut to the bottom of the control arm (with the wheels off and the car was on the lift) both sides were even. So it looks like the problem lies with the spring, which I figured anyway becuase that is what determines your right height. I was just wanted some of you guys to check your cars, because I couldn't find a spec on the FORD TECH cds that I have. I wanted to see what variance there was in other S197 Mustangs. 10mm isn't very much, but my car was wrecked about 3 weeks ago. The only damage was to the body and bumper. No fram damage at all, I however notice that after the wreck the toe was out of adjustment. I was driving down the road (3 lanes), I was in the 3rd lane. All of a sudden some ahole decided that he was going to cross 3 lanes of traffic to pull into Arby's. He came out of nowhere, I had just enough time to hit the brakes. I T-boned him doing about 30 mph. Luckily I hit his truck (S10 work truck) between the B and A-pillar. So I hit the soft spot of the truck. No one was injured, the Cop cited him with failure to yield while crossing a roadway. I just got the car back from the body shop. They did a great job, you can't tell that it was wrecked. The total damage was 4,200.00. BIGCAT this is why I decided to not sale the car. I never measured ride height before the car was wrecked, I just wanted to make sure.

I was thinking of cutting 1/2 a coil out of my springs to fix the disparity. Any thoughts?

Is this just a case of the springs wearing more on one side than the other from driver weight, equipment, etc.? If so can't you just switch the springs from one side to the other? They should even themselves out if that is the case.