VC oil baffle removed - consequences/options?

Hi-Po

Mar 31, 2005
Oslo, Norway
First of all - I have searched both this forum as well as Corral but the info I am finding frankly just makes me more confused.

Anyhow, I have removed the oil baffle in my pass side valve cover to get clearance for my roller rockers.
As per now I have hooked up again the tube from the oil filler neck to the TB but I am somewhat worried I will be getting oil into the intake.

Tons of various contradicting info out there - so can someone school me on what to do?

I have been thinking about just plugging the inlet on the TB and attaching a long hose to the oil filler neck and letting it vent to the atmosphere, maybe using a filter of some kind - will this work? Will I get a vacuum problem with this solution?

Alternatively I have been thinking about installing a home made oil separator on the oil filler neck to TB tube/hose, but this is maybe a bit over the top...

• Sponsors (?)

Opinions are varied on this subject. you will have nothing but problems removing the baffle as you will see oil being sucked up into your intake. You also cannot vent to atmosphere while running a pcv. Is there not anyway you can run a taller valve cover with a baffle, or modify the one you have? I tried removing the baffle and vented to atmosphere but had tons of problems, oil would collect and spill on the headers almost causing a fire!

I believe felpro sells a double stacked gasket that raises the stock vc enough to clear. I bought mine off the classifieds on the corral and they made the stock vc clear my 1.7s perfect. Sorry...don't have a part#.

Posted via Mobile Device

You also cannot vent to atmosphere while running a pcv. Is there not anyway you can run a taller valve cover with a baffle, or modify the one you have?

I have heard this about the pcv wont work if venting from the oil filler neck to the atmosphere, but I can't understand why... The pcv is connected to vacuum from the intake, so what is the problem if the inlet from the oil filler neck is blocked on the TB?
There is no vacuum under the valve cover, is there?

Regarding the valve covers I would like to run the stock ones just because I like them, besides I cannot get any taller valve covers to fit at all on the driver side due to the supercharger.

If I cannot vent to the atmosphere I guess my options are basically to try to fab up an oil separator for the hose from the oil filler neck, or trying to fab a baffle - maybe a removable one - in the oil filler neck.

Well I run without an oil baffle on my daily driver and I have no issues with oil being sucked through the valve cover.

At first I was concerned about it... so I got one of those glass Spectre brand fuel filters that you find at Autozone and I put a cotton breather filter inside of it and used it for an oil separator. After a while I saw that it was catching little to nothing, so I put the stock hose back on for the stock look. Maybe try something like that and see what happens.

I have heard this about the pcv wont work if venting from the oil filler neck to the atmosphere, but I can't understand why... The pcv is connected to vacuum from the intake, so what is the problem if the inlet from the oil filler neck is blocked on the TB?
There is no vacuum under the valve cover, is there?

Regarding the valve covers I would like to run the stock ones just because I like them, besides I cannot get any taller valve covers to fit at all on the driver side due to the supercharger.

If I cannot vent to the atmosphere I guess my options are basically to try to fab up an oil separator for the hose from the oil filler neck, or trying to fab a baffle - maybe a removable one - in the oil filler neck.

The PCV will still function but the main problem is that you are now pulling unmetered air into the intake via the PCV since the breather on the VC is just vented to atmosphere. Works fine on a carb vehicle but you can run into a lean condition with the EEC controlled vehicle. This is the main purpose of the line from the TB to the oil filler on the VC. The PCV is now pulling air that has already passed through the MAF and the EEC has accounted for it so you should not run the risk of a lean condition.

In actuality there are lots of guys out there who run open breathers and have reported no major ill effects. My 88 had an open element breather on it when I bought it. The main problem that I had was that the filter fabric in the breather would saturate with oil and then drip on the headers. Its always classy sitting at a redlight with smoke starting to come out from under the hood and smelling like burning oil.

I used a set of TFS tall VCs, 1" intake spacer and the TFS oil filler kit and reran the line from the TB to the VC. There is no baffle in VC under the filler tube in my set up and I have no big problems with oil in the intake. That also might be because I have the tall VCs.

Well I run without an oil baffle on my daily driver and I have no issues with oil being sucked through the valve cover.

At first I was concerned about it... so I got one of those glass Spectre brand fuel filters that you find at Autozone and I put a cotton breather filter inside of it and used it for an oil separator. After a while I saw that it was catching little to nothing, so I put the stock hose back on for the stock look. Maybe try something like that and see what happens.

Thanks your input, my car is my daily driver as well - and I think I will fab up something similar to what you did, if for nothing else then just to verify whether there is any oil being sucked up or not.