Very bad vibration above 65mph question

jhonda

Jul 22, 2003
Huntersville NC
I recently put some lower control arms on my car and everything was working decent...I still had a slight vibration above 70mph but went away mostly at 75. I just changed the u-joints on the driveshaft everything is in right I put it in the same way it came out. It now vibrates very bad above 65mph. The output shaft of the transmission moves up and down and side to side almost a 1/8th of a inch. Does the output shaft suppose to have any movement at all....if not is there a bushing or bearing that I can replace without having to remove the transmission? Anyone ever have this problem or know How I can fix it?

• Sponsors (?)

its definately your driveshaft being out of balance. i had the same problem only difference is i changed my slip yoke. the vibration changed at different speeds same as yours. i went to my local driveline shop and after i had new u joints installed as well as having it balanced i was just shy of what an new aluminum shaft would have cost however my viabration went completely away.

waiting on update

any word on viberation yet? its funny i hear most switch to an aluminum shaft thinking that the speed is at fault,,,,citical speed is based on size and lenght,and is for shafts more than 40 in center to center ,which ours are up to 48 inch as standard sizes,than the time spent at that speed of 6-9 thousand rpms. being a maker of shafts ,back in the 80s pick-ups and vans had a 2 piece shaft ..shafts ranging 60 to 72 inch here are common,,,,,the aluminum shaft was used because the size was increased to make strength,and we found that the viberations arent as prounced as with the heavier meatal shaft,when revolving weight was put into play...clocking or turning 180 deg,,,is for diagnostic only not a fix.... drive line angle viberations are harder to find but ,,,get this a normal driveline viberation will come and go and will be between different speeds...a drive shaft viberation will always be thier..say steedy 70mph.car shakes..put in netural a bad shaft will still shake ,an angle vib will go away and return on light acceleration...spicer shows steps in the chart

No word yet, no one is open on new years day...but hopefully tommorow. My boss got his driveshaft shortened and balanced for 40 dollors about 3 years ago so I am going to the place that did his, I will update yall. Thanks for the replys

wow 40 bucks, thats nice, i think my local driveline shop has a monopoly on the market in the area cause he is the only guy around, mine cost about 180 bucks for new u joints and for it to be balanced which is why i stated i could have just bought a new aluminum shaft for just a bit more.

balancer?

No word yet, no one is open on new years day...but hopefully tommorow. My boss got his driveshaft shortened and balanced for 40 dollors about 3 years ago so I am going to the place that did his, I will update yall. Thanks for the replys

dude watch out with that ,,we made shafts for years and lied about balancing...it took me years to talk the old man into buying a balancer,,go inside and ask to see thier balancer/ask what brand they have,,,axi-line is most common..we would charge 45 for a 1 piece shaft ,,if we did it with ujoints it was around 75+price of ujoints,,45 more if i had to crawl under and pull shaft,,i would let them wait if just a balance,,,fastest 45 i ever made ,, ,,,a balancer looks like a lathe but alot longer 6ft vs 20ft,,,cant miss it

Update:
Got the driveshaft balanced turned out I didn't put the yoke back in the right way it was 180* out of wack. Anyway had it balanced and everything is back like it was before the u-joint install. He also said that the tailshaft bushing is going out due to the scoring on the yoke. I ordered a bushing and seal kit and am now looking for the puller to get it out. I heard if you have the right tool that it is a 5min. job.