Very bad vibration from clutch pedal after hitting a bump

Tate625

Aug 9, 2019
Nebraska
I was going 10-15 mph down an alleyway when I hit a bump I did not see. There was a very solid sounding hit and slight scrape. The next day I was driving and my clutch pedal started to vibrate rapidly in neutral and every gear, getting worse the higher the rpm’s are. I checked underneath the car and there were no signs of any damage to the transmission or any clutch components that I could slightly see.

Is it possible that a bump could upset the flywheel and clutch disk enough to cause the vibration? Perhaps the input shaft into the transmission? If not maybe I’m just bad at driving and wore it out, but it was fine one day and very bad the next.

We replaced the clutch ourselves about 4 months ago and this is the first problem we have had with it.

• Sponsors(?)

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi,
I’d think it unlikely that you would have damaged the flywheel, as you’d first hear it in your ring Gear during cycling of the Starter, and collision to the lower Bellhousing of that degree would be very evident upon inspection. Check again, carefully, & these::
1) I’m assuming the Starter works ok and you have no issues when turning the motor over when starting? Ring gear would likely bend if flywheel did.
-The Clutch worked OK until the next day, so you drove away with no issues, they showed up the following day?
If the above is true, did you use reverse as the last gear when you last parked the car that day?
2) If struck hard enough, a collision to the bell may have broken the rubber transmission mount to the crossmember, or broken it’s Bolt heads off, which would give you a pulsating feeling at the pedal, as the transmissions no longer affixed solidly..
3) Check the crossmember, itself. It’s Bolts.
4) Check the Bolts for the bell for presence and torque, verify the bell remains tightly seated squarely to the engine.
5) Jack up the Car, secured on adequate stands, E-Brake on, tires chocked, Have someone actuate the Clutch (Engine Off) and Check for proper operation of the Clutch fork, the cable for smooth operation.
Start the car & have them cycle the clutch, do you see or feel a vibration in the clutch fork?
6) Ball detent pivot may also have separated if the Trans was kicked that high up. Check parts for play or misalignment.
7) You would have to strike the flywheel with the Clutch disengaged to break the pilot bearing, half as likely with clutch engaged, but possible. More unlikely if working ok the previous day after the incident occurred.
8) Check for damage to the harmonic balancer or pulley on the front of the motor.If broken or separated by direct or indirect force, it can transmit a large vibration to the pedal.
9) Look at the Clutch fork, Ford ran a lead weight inside the Fork to reduce vibration of the throwout bearing operation to the pedal, maintain consistent pedal smoothness. If you had one in there then, and now it’s gone, that may be what you feel..
10) You can back off on the Transmission Bolts so there’s a gap between the motor & trans, does it come back with no resistance?
Good luck!
- John

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
I was going 10-15 mph down an alleyway when I hit a bump I did not see. There was a very solid sounding hit and slight scrape. The next day I was driving and my clutch pedal started to vibrate rapidly in neutral and every gear, getting worse the higher the rpm’s are. I checked underneath the car and there were no signs of any damage to the transmission or any clutch components that I could slightly see.

Is it possible that a bump could upset the flywheel and clutch disk enough to cause the vibration? Perhaps the input shaft into the transmission? If not maybe I’m just bad at driving and wore it out, but it was fine one day and very bad the next.

We replaced the clutch ourselves about 4 months ago and this is the first problem we have had with it.
Hi,
Does this vibration transmit into the Car, overall, e.g; Hand on steering wheel it can also be felt? Do a dual mass Flywheel upgrade with the recent clutch install?
If so, collision may have separated it.
Need more input to isolate this anomaly, willing to help...
Cheers!
-John

Shuttleman83

Jun 30, 2019
USA
My bet is clutch cable or fork. You may have bumped cable somehow or got it kinked/contaminated or even transmission mounts getting bungled.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Very Bad Vibration SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0
T rearend vibrating very bad after trac-loc rebuild Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
jhonda Very bad vibration above 65mph question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 13
clang5oh very bad vibration 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
C plez help very bad vibration SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 6
N Bad Tps/iac? Bad/semi-erratic Idle, Running Very Rich; Window Motor Won't Connect To Gear 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
blackfox91 Very Bad Gas Mileage, But It Has Many Performance Parts. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 11
ry94stang50 Engine Very Bad Squeel 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 6
B Very bad shaking from motor. SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 13
M very high air/fuel ratio...sputtering...bad gas? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
M How to tell if struts/shocks are bad with very stiff springs SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
P help!!!very bad fuel mileage 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 5
mustangfan1990 VERY BAD BELT PROBLEM Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
2000fordstanggt clutch slipping very badly when cold SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 5
ChromdOutDubs First test drive went very BAD! 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 17
5.0L Miata Car is running very bad - need help! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 14
GTA_V6_Mustang A very bad friday night...! 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
BlueOvalStangGT I have a weird and potentially VERY bad problem.... 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 18
MineralG2k2GT Very sloppy clutch pedal..is my throw out bearing bad? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 10
cobra dave Very bad day in Martinsville 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
S my car is in very very bad shape, SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 10
C Anyone help? Car is running very bad Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
kdog_x Failed Emmissions... Very Badly - Help! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 23
S Very high mileage Mustang for sale 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 5
S 01 v6 very dash wiring issue SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 4
A Any help with Microsquirt tuning would be very much appreciated Digital Self-tuning Forum 14
Drum4life23 I have a very interesting situation! 06 mustang won’t start unless I remove fuse HELP! 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 4
F For Sale 2003 Mustang GT Vert with very low miles (21K)-Well taken care of SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04) 1
J For Sale 1994 Mustang GT Autocross/HPDE setup, very clean, California. SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04) 1
DAJ352 Old School 5.0 Very cool stuff from the early days of the movement 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 26
V Suspension 1995 front end very loose 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
markinms Engine Best way to clean a GT40 Intake (very greasy/dirty)? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
Nick Bos C4 Transmission has very delayed shifts 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 0
S newb from so cal. Just bought a very nice black on black 2000 GT The Welcome Wagon 1
J rough idle and very slight miss SVT Tech Forum 2
G For Sale '11 GT, Very low miles, Kona Blue S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14) 0
9 Paint and Body [[Very Quick Tutorial]] How to Remove your REAR bumper. SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0
J Looking at 94 gt for a possible project. Im very happy to get back in the swing of things finally!!! The Welcome Wagon 3
M Very annoying noise on 2018 GT 2015+ (S550) Mustang -General/Talk 5
S For Sale Ford OE. 8.8" 3:27 ring & pinion very nice used Other Classifieds 0
E Deep Scratch/very Small Ding Or Dent On Hood? What To Do ? Any Repair Ideas? 2015+ (S550) Mustang -General/Talk 4
F Auction Bought Cobra - Running Very Poorly SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 14
R Car Stalls And Dies Very Often SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 10
Nutty 5.o SOLD 1990 Mustang Lx 5.0 W/5 Speed Hatch Very Nice/clean Dark Titanium In Pa Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) 11
Realbill1976 Very New To Ford 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
little_redfox_91 91 Gt Running Very Rich Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 16
78mIIman Engine 78 Mustang Ii 302 Factory Mess Up, Very Weird!!! 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 0
cmerk27 Engine Very Strange Coolant Leak (checked All The Basics) And Other Problems SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 20
C Please Help Running Very Hot Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
S After Pi Swap Very Loud Noise 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 16