very strange headlight problem

92s

Mar 11, 2006
was driving the other night, came home, went to go back out, and my headlights would not turn on. my rear lights, fog lights, parking lights and dash lights coem on, but no headlight

now the even stranger part is that the highbeams only work when i hold the switch, i cant click it to make it stay on. what in the hell is going on? im clueless :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Dont forget to check the red/yellow (IIRC) wire that goes from the headlight switch to the MF switch. It can burn or the terminal backs out of the MF switch connector.

The flash-to-pass sources power from elsewhere than the headlight switch, which is why it still works.

Good luck.

A word of caution about multifunction switches is in order here. The multifunction switch (high/low beam, wiper, turn signals) are different for different years. 87-98 will work in any 87-89 car. The 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars. You can't put an early model switch in a late model car, nor can you put a late model switch in an early car.

When I got home yesterday, my parking lights would not turn off. If I pull the switch hard towards me it will but when I release it the lights come back on. I had to pull the fuse last night in order to save the battery.

Is this the headlight switch?

Pull the headlight switch out. Punch out the 2 pins and open it up. Watch out cause 2 spring loaded balls will fall out (it's what gives the switch the click click effect). Now stare at the inside and it will become clear whats wrong. Usually, it just gets dirty but I have seen the metal parts inside come loose too.

When you are done, just push a nail into the loops to hold it together and viola, you have just serviced your lightswitch.

crazypete said:
Pull the headlight switch out. Punch out the 2 pins and open it up. Watch out cause 2 spring loaded balls will fall out (it's what gives the switch the click click effect). Now stare at the inside and it will become clear whats wrong. Usually, it just gets dirty but I have seen the metal parts inside come loose too.

When you are done, just push a nail into the loops to hold it together and viola, you have just serviced your lightswitch.

In one sense I am scared to listen b/c of the bottom of your car.

In another sense, I'm all over it b/c of your creativity and hilarious responses to everyone elses response to your car.

I'll pick #2:)

Grab a new switch and when it comes, then you can do Greasy Pete's method - if you destroy the old switch, you have a new one anyhow. If it works, keep the old one as a spare.

I never replied to that thread - I am not sure I would have used grease like that, but I admire people who think outside the box and are creative. Seems to me that oddball stuff like that is what hot rodding/modifying cars is all about.

HISSIN50 said:
Grab a new switch and when it comes, then you can do Greasy Pete's method - if you destroy the old switch, you have a new one anyhow. If it works, keep the old one as a spare.

I never replied to that thread - I am not sure I would have used grease like that, but I admire people who think outside the box and are creative. Seems to me that oddball stuff like that is what hot rodding/modifying cars is all about.

Thanks dude. I didnt seem to get much support on that thread even though I'm pretty sure I found the end-all of undercoating.

As for the light switch, I have replaced 2 so far and when the third one went, I opened it up and it looks like there was some kind of grease on the inside that had gotten burned or dirty over the years. I wiped it all off so it was clean metal, flipped the switch shut and pushed 2 nails through the pin locations and have had a totally reliable paddle switch ever since.

crazypete said:
Thanks dude. I didnt seem to get much support on that thread even though I'm pretty sure I found the end-all of undercoating.

Yeah, you didn't get much support and most of the people were jerks! The best part of the thread isn't your idea....its your integrity when attacked. The jokes kept me coming back to see what you would write. Well done!

Madmaxin22--Thanks for the site. I learn more stuff everyday!