Vibration At 70 Mph

Paul G

Jun 10, 2013
2005 GT Ragtop with 47K miles has some vibration at 70 MPH.

At all speeds from zero to 65, the car runs perfectly smooth and straight... no alignment issues.
Once I hit 70mph the car has a slight vibration... After I accelerate over 70 (and beyond......) it's completely gone.

The rims are the AM Bullitt (made in China). My local tire/repair shop who mounted/balanced stated he didn't get a perfect balance from these rims.

Q1.) Do you think this is just a balance issue or is there something more sinister?

The suspension is stock, and I have future plans on replacing it (Koni Struts/Shocks, SR Springs and new upper/lower control arms front-rear all from AM), but when I hit a bump (doing normal street speeds of 35 mph) the car travels or jumps a bit.

Q2.) Is this because the suspension is just old and needs to be replace?

I've notice the converties don't feel as stable as the coups, I'm just wondering if it's time to give the suspension a refresh.

• Sponsors (?)

If it were a wheel/tire balance issue, it wouldn't go away, it would present at all speeds above a certain point. Is the car stock? Convertibles have much much flexibility in their chassis because coupes use the roof to triangulate their structural integrity. Think of the roof acting like a strut tower brace, but for the chassis not the struts.

Pete, I agree... I have the car scheduled to go back to the dealer to have them take a look at it. It's under warranty so if there is anything more, it should be covered.

• "If it were a wheel/tire balance issue, it wouldn't go away, it would present at all speeds above a certain point.If it were a wheel/tire balance issue, it wouldn't go away, it would present at all speeds above a certain point."
> I don't entirely agree with that. My 08 Malibu did the same thing after I put new tires on. I brought it back and they rebalanced it. They could even tell me based upon my description if it was rear or fronts out of balance.

• "Is the car stock?"
> Yes, except for the Borla ATAK cat back and AM Rims.

• "Convertibles have much much flexibility in their chassis because coupes use the roof to triangulate their structural integrity. Think of the roof acting like a strut tower brace, but for the chassis not the struts."
> I can agree with that

• Also, what sort of vibration? >>>> t's more like a vibration/shimmy. When I look in the mirrors, they're vibrating
  • Where and how do you feel it? >>>> I can feel a slight shake in my butt, and in the wheel.
  • Is it only upon acceleration or upon coasting and deceleration, as well? >>>> No
  • Can you cruise at that perfect speed and the vibration stays? Yes, if I go over or under that speed, it goes away. It's mainly between 65 and 75 mph.

From working for Goodyear I can tell you that if you can drive out of the vibrations it's the tires. Meaning that a tire vibration that come on at say 40-50 mph and goes away after/before that will be a tire balance issue. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to balance it out if they have the right equipment.

The jumping could be from a loose or worn out out tie rod end, ball joints etc. If they put the wheels on they should have noticed those things when they took them off. It's one of the first things you check before removing the wheel.

i agree it should have been noticed i can say tie rods on our cars when they go bad you can usually hear it.... have you jacked the car up and shook the tires side to side and top to bottom?

Did a ride a long with Ford tech yesterday and wasn't able to reproduce any issues.
He said it feels fine... both going over bumps and taking it on the highway. At 70 there was nothing.
He did say my tires were over inflated...