Engine Vibration in gas pedal at 2000 rpm

cdurbin

5 Year Member
Jul 27, 2012
North Charleston, SC
I know the subject title sounds strange but thats the best way to describe it.
It just started a couple of days ago. I notice when I hit around 2000 rpm I can feel a strange "vibration" coming from the gas pedal. I don't really hear any strange noises. It happens at exactly 2000 rpm regardless of what gear I'm in or sitting still. I popped the hood and revved it up but I don't see anything obvious. Any ideas? She runs perfect other than that.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It could be a bad engine mount or balancer or it could be u-joints. If it just does this at 2000rpm while driving ...but not while in park/neutral ..it could be the u-joints.

It could be a bad engine mount or balancer or it could be u-joints. If it just does this at 2000rpm while driving ...but not while in park/neutral ..it could be the u-joints.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards mounts or balancer. It does it even sitting in neutral so I don't think its a transmission/u-joint issue.
Bad thing is I need to keep driving it the rest of the week until I get a chance to look at it.

Well, I checked the motor mounts and they look like new.
replaced the u-joints and the rear one was toast. Also replaced the balancer. it had spun and was about an inch off of alignment.
Problem is I still feel that damn vibration. WTH

I was going to say balancer and u joints as well, but since you fixed that here are some other areas to check.

1. trans mouunt
2. Throttle cable- is it kinked or rubbing against the firewall
3. Clutch/flywheel

your gonna need a fwa and quadrant with that clutch i dont think the stock setup is gonna be friendly with the better clutch and heavier pressure plate because its a bit heavier then a stock replacement. I run a MM kit in my car and my pedal is softer then stock with a centerforce dual friction clutch

your gonna need a fwa and quadrant with that clutch i dont think the stock setup is gonna be friendly with the better clutch and heavier pressure plate because its a bit heavier then a stock replacement. I run a MM kit in my car and my pedal is softer then stock with a centerforce dual friction clutch

I apologize upfront if this is a stupid question but what exactly is a FWA and a MM kit?

FWA Firewall Adjuster
MM- maximum motorsports

IMO get the adjuster, quadrant and an adjustable cable. Don't get a cheap clutch cable. I would buy the Ford Racing cable if it were me M-7553-B302 but Steeda and MM make quality parts too.

Good to know.
Thanks!
MM actually makes a better cable then the ford racing china junk , there cable is explained on the website it's from the original manufacturer of the original fox cable which has been on many cars over 100k miles

Well, I checked the motor mounts and they look like new.
replaced the u-joints and the rear one was toast. Also replaced the balancer. it had spun and was about an inch off of alignment.
Problem is I still feel that damn vibration. WTH

I'm following your promble hoping to hear what the final fix will be. Hate to follow a problem an never find out the solution...

I think I will take a look at my U-joints. Appearantly you had this issue without even knowing it. Let us know what eventially solves your vibration issue. Thanks

I'm following your promble hoping to hear what the final fix will be. Hate to follow a problem an never find out the solution...

I think I will take a look at my U-joints. Appearantly you had this issue without even knowing it. Let us know what eventially solves your vibration issue. Thanks

Sure will. I ordered a the clutch kit I had mentioned from Latemodelresto. It will be here Saturday.
I plan to try and change everything in the next week or so. A buddy of mine is in the Navy and we are going to use the hobby shop on base.
They have all the air tools, lift, etc. Much easier than working in the driveway.:)

Reactions: 1 user
Sure will. I ordered a the clutch kit I had mentioned from Latemodelresto. It will be here Saturday.
I plan to try and change everything in the next week or so. A buddy of mine is in the Navy and we are going to use the hobby shop on base.
They have all the air tools, lift, etc. Much easier than working in the driveway.:)

I Ex Air Force, man do I miss the hobby shops!!! Painte my first car in one back in 1982.... long time ago.

Will look for the progress...

Give a little feedback on the clutch setup as well. Im planning to purchase one soon but not sure which setup.

Thanks,

Dwayne