VIN help please.

A year ago I purchased a '65 Stang Coupe with 289. There is the 11 digit warranty number on driver's side fender under the hood, AND, that is used as VIN number on Alabama registration. There is no VIN # in any of traditional places. Alabama Does not title vintage cars so registration is all I have. Can Ford (or anyone) provide a VIN # from the warranty number?

• Sponsors (?)

[Yes Sir I am. Apparently, that is the warranty registration number with 11 digits. The VIN has 12 digits. QUOTE="Olivethefet, post: 9234073, member: 221146"]
I thought that was the VIN. Are you talking about the numbers and letters stamped into the metal on the inner finder?
[/QUOTE]

[Yes Sir I am. Apparently, that is the warranty registration number with 11 digits. The VIN has 12 digits. QUOTE="Olivethefet, post: 9234073, member: 221146"]
I thought that was the VIN. Are you talking about the numbers and letters stamped into the metal on the inner finder?
[/QUOTE]
None of the numbers in this 11 digit stream match any of the VIN explanation codes that the 12 digit VIN refer too.

Links that MIGHT help

I am walking back to ask my mechanic on duty here right now to see what he can give me to help.

His response was that his 67 Falcon has no VIN on it except for the door, he also has the warranty number where your is. He is sure that your came the same way and over the years the one on the door has came off. Have you called Ford? I know that they can be a pain to deal with but its an option.

I have a few APPS here att he shop that lets me run the plate and that always gives me a VIN if its in the DMV. In your case I am not sure what i would get back though.

Here is an example of mine:

1995 Ford Mustang 6 Cylinders 4 3.8L FI OHV
LICENSE PLATE: KY 357DNF 1FALP4441SF156583

20200423_134152_zpsvl1dnulf.jpg

This is where it "should" be stamped...the front fender apron. It is also on the door plate assuming you have that(I know you said its not in any of the conventional places). Is it possible you just cant see it?(might have to take a wire wheel to reveal...or do the charcoal rubbing thing. Was the front fender apron replaced? Hard to track down a VIN number....but I suppose its possible the DMV keeps records of that type. Any clue as to whether this was an original AL car? You can trace previous owners and maybe get help from them about cars registered to them until you can find something with the VIN.

On mine, just an example....this particular one was transferred from the original apron when the car got in a wreck...and then I replaced the apron a 2nd time(because it was installed badly and already rusting again) and have yet to transfer it again to the new apron...mine is 66 though...just for the record, my VIN is 11 digits.

20200424_094626_zpsbsnvyg98.jpg

This might help clear up the confusion. This is my door tag(not the OPs) and title(car is not yet registered). Notice the Vin on the title has an extra 1 after the 7 that the door tag does not have. For what it is worth...this title is dated 1977, other people can check their titles and maybe see if that digit is also a 1 or if it varies? Either way...it narrows down the vin to 10 possible numbers

Called Ford using wicked93gs posted number for the warranty tag, knowing the VIN that is noted on his title and they gave me the following:

The 6 digit number found on the inner left fender goes behind the engine code to create the proper VIN for the 65.

He seemed to be confident about this information. It does not follow what wicked93gs VIN reads but TENN is kind of a oddball state.

Found this site on the 65 Galaxy, has how to decode the VWN for a Galaxy, some things may be of value

Found this on CJ Pony Parts: VWN Decoder

Results: wicked93gs
  • Model Year: 1966
  • Body Style: Not Found
  • Exterior Paint: Not Found
  • Interior Trim: Not Found
  • Date: Not Found
  • DSO: Not Found
  • Rear Axle: Not Found
  • Transmission: Not Found
  • Assembly Plant: Dearborn, MI
  • Body Serial: 2-Door Hardtop
  • Engine: 200 1V
  • Unit #: 180159

Last edited:
Sincere appreciation for all the information. But it looks like none of the solution s give me a VIN that matches up with the "decoder" plan to show me the original color, body style, engine, etc. On well, just though I'd see if anyone else had similar problems, looks like a lot of us are in the same boat!! Thanks again!
20200424_094626_zpsbsnvyg98.jpg

This might help clear up the confusion. This is my door tag(not the OPs) and title(car is not yet registered). Notice the Vin on the title has an extra 1 after the 7 that the door tag does not have. For what it is worth...this title is dated 1977, other people can check their titles and maybe see if that digit is also a 1 or if it varies? Either way...it narrows down the vin to 10 possible numbers

Reactions: 1 user
Sincere appreciation for all the information. But it looks like none of the solution s give me a VIN that matches up with the "decoder" plan to show me the original color, body style, engine, etc. On well, just though I'd see if anyone else had similar problems, looks like a lot of us are in the same boat!! Thanks again!

Engine is easy....you only have a few options T, C, A, or K code, and that is specified right in the VIN or warranty number, 200CI 1V for all T-codes, C-codes and A codes will be 289ci .....2v or 4v for the C codes depending. I believe all A codes were 4v, as were all K codes(K codes in particular should have been the only ones with the HiPo engine). Original paint color is listed on the door tag...in my case it is Y...which is silver blue. trim 22 which states blue w/ blue trim interior(though stripped down it sure looks aqua or torquise to me, and the seats that came out were parchment...guess someone repainted it at some point and swapped in parchment seats) DSO code on mine is 36...which is Louisville(guess thats where it was shipped?) Axle 2(2.83 non-locking) and trans 6(c4-automatic). 65A means it was either a coupe or fastback(not specified...but of course its a coupe)

Door tag decoder:

In the end though, the ONLY coupes that are worth enough money to be particular about the details are A codes(GTs) or K codes(HiPo engine)....they did after all make a million of the things...literally, which is why its very rare to ever see a coupe sell for more than 20k

Reactions: 1 user
I thought all the C code cars were 2v. I know all A code cars were 4v and all GTs were either A or K with K being the high performance 289. All GT 350s were K code cars. Dont forget the D code cars. I believe they had the 260 v8 in them and had generators?

Engine is easy....you only have a few options T, C, A, or K code, and that is specified right in the VIN or warranty number, 200CI 1V for all T-codes, C-codes and A codes will be 289ci .....2v or 4v for the C codes depending. I believe all A codes were 4v, as were all K codes(K codes in particular should have been the only ones with the HiPo engine). Original paint color is listed on the door tag...in my case it is Y...which is silver blue. trim 22 which states blue w/ blue trim interior(though stripped down it sure looks aqua or torquise to me, and the seats that came out were parchment...guess someone repainted it at some point and swapped in parchment seats) DSO code on mine is 36...which is Louisville(guess thats where it was shipped?) Axle 2(2.83 non-locking) and trans 6(c4-automatic). 65A means it was either a coupe or fastback(not specified...but of course its a coupe)

Door tag decoder:

In the end though, the ONLY coupes that are worth enough money to be particular about the details are A codes(GTs) or K codes(HiPo engine)....they did after all make a million of the things...literally, which is why its very rare to ever see a coupe sell for more than 20k
Suu

You can not go by the door tag it could be a fake one. Here's my story. I bought a 66 Coupe at Mecum auction( I did not go to buy a car but it happens) I checked the door tag and it showed a 66 coupe color Candy Apple with Black interior. When I got it home found a tag taped inside the glove box numbers said White with Red interior Huh what the heck I had been had :( turns out you can get the tags made up to say whatever you want.