Vintage Venom 13" brake setup

StangerJon

Mar 20, 2003
Minnesota
I put the Vintage Venom 13" cobra brake kit on my car recently. After the 40 years of road grime came off, everything went together really smoothly. I had purchased a set of drum spindles and hubs, and after all said and done, I ended up just buying a new lower control arm/lower ball joint set up. I figured it would be a good time to replace it all since the boots were torn and filled with muddy/sandy/dirty grease.

Although the web site suggested upgrading to a newer style Master cylinder, after driving to every parts store around town (even the ford dealerships) and not being able to find a resevoir for the MC I bought, I decided to just try using the stock booster and master cylinder. (the car had stock power disc front brakes) The car stops just fine with that, and I have a great solid pedal feel, and I can lock up the brakes. I did however leave the stock drums in the rear.

The only real hang up I had was the website says that the stock SN95 lines can be used. Although the stock SN95 lines are two different diameters. The passenger line will work just fine, but I guess Maximum Motor sports makes an adapter for the Sn95 line to fit on the stock hard line on the driver side. I ended up just cutting and flaring the line with a new fitting on it.

Before
6490_1198951417364_1335896104_30542.jpg

after
DSC_0737.jpg

DSC_0740.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

DSC_0754.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

My only thoughts on changing the MC is to get the correct bore size. I'm not sure what the bore size on a 68 was from the factory. If the brakes are working well don't worry about it.

Just remember, if you change your rear drums out you NEED to change the MC.