viper spec t56 help!

SaleenGT2001

Jul 18, 2005
Four Oaks NC
i have a chance to pick up a viper spec t56 from an 01 cobra for $2000. it comes with the cross member and driveshaft. is there any differance in the 01 cobra and my 01 gt as far as the tranny goes? will i have to change my clutch and flywheel out? i have a 3650 tranny in it now. i'm trying to figure out if it is worth it.

• Sponsors (?)

i'm kinda on the fence about it. i have 4K to spend and i WAS gonna do a built bottom end and cams. well at least pay for them and then save for the install at MPH. but i know that with over 550 HP the stock tranny wont last too long, so now i have a good chance to replace it.

this one was swapped in. the car is from MPH. the engine caught on fire and totaled the car. he is parting it out. but like i said i can pick up the whole kit for 2K. does taht seem like a good deal? i know they are about $3800 new. would this be a wise investment rather than getting a built motor right now and then tearing out the stock tranny? and are the viper spec trannys stronger than the TKO 600? what are the vipers rated to hold?

If you absolutely must have a Viper Spec T56, then go for it. Just keep in mind, that D&D Performance sells freshly remanufactured '03-'04 Cobra T56's, with cross member and aluminum drive shaft for $2,499.....and that's with a warranty!

.50 6th :drool:

Those viper spec trannys usually can hold in excess of 600RWHP. IMHO if you dont have a stock clutch right now (it WILL slip @ 550RWHP and your tune may be off) then go the tranny.

If you have a good clutch that will hold 550RWHP, do the motor mods and BABY the transmission until you can get another one.

I am having a cobra t56 put in my mach this week now that the 3650 is crapping out. The parts they are ordering / modifying are T56 tranny, X member, 27 spline yoke ( i think ), and the driveshaft will have to be shortened and rebalanced.

Gearbanger 101 said:
If you absolutely must have a Viper Spec T56, then go for it. Just keep in mind, that D&D Performance sells freshly remanufactured '03-'04 Cobra T56's, with cross member and aluminum drive shaft for $2,499.....and that's with a warranty!

wow, thanks for that bit of info!!:flag:

i have a mccloed clutch in it now along with an aluminum flywheel.

the guy is giving me the clutch/pressure plate, tranny, cross member, driveshaft, and shifter all included and he is giving me a guarentee that it will work perfectly.