Viper Spec T56 swap: Guys who have done this..

Looking for input from guys that have done a Viper Spec T56 swap in their foxbody. How was the install? How does the trans shift? (notchy or smooth)
What was your reasoning for choosing a T56 over other T5 transmissions?
Also how is it for drag racing and how much power are you making?

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure if it'll help you much because it's in a 95 Mustang, but bimmertech over on the 94-95 side has a T56 in his 95 and might be able to help ya out if you shoot him a PM or post up over there.

you can do it in about 4-5 hours. and its fairly easy... you have to pull the old tranny out, mount the crossmemeber a few inches back with new mounts, then put the T56 in. and make sure you bypass the NSS at the tranny harness either directly or with a switch, or else it wont start. you need a shorter driveshaft, longer speedo cable too. i beleive the viper spec t56 is a 26 spline input shaft so youll also need a new clutch/flywheel assembly. my T56 is the base model which is the same as the 2000 cobra R i beleive...its kinda on the notchy side but i like it, it feels more positive to me.

its easy if you have a lift. i helped a buddy put one in his 95. we converted it from an aode to a t56 and ended up having to cut the stock crossmember mounts out to get the new one to go in. we never saw anyone mention that and people tend to not mention it. its a little more time consuming than everyone says it is...especially if you only have hand tools and have to cut the crossmember brackets out. good luck...but plan on spending atleast an entire weekend if not two doing it

dragnazz5.0 said:
its easy if you have a lift. i helped a buddy put one in his 95. we converted it from an aode to a t56 and ended up having to cut the stock crossmember mounts out to get the new one to go in. we never saw anyone mention that and people tend to not mention it. its a little more time consuming than everyone says it is...especially if you only have hand tools and have to cut the crossmember brackets out. good luck...but plan on spending atleast an entire weekend if not two doing it

i did mine in about 4-5 hours, on jack stands, with hand tools, drunk, with just one friend helping. you dont have to cut the brackets out, you buy new ones for the swap or have someone fabricate you some. mine is completely reversable if i ever for any reason wanted to switch back to a TKO or anything. so if it was originally a 5 speed, its simple

I would consider the TKO 600 too.

Install was easy for mine with new $100 swap x-member
no cutting or moving nothing.

They're a little clunky going into gear but
its a very positive feel, dont see you missing 3rd with these.