Voltage Regulator - electronic or mechanical?

68conv4sp

Oct 24, 2005
My 68 currently has a new electronic regulator and new 60 amp alternator. The lights still pulse at all rpms. Would the old style mechanical reg solve this? The battery is also new and stays fully charged. What am I missing?

• Sponsors (?)

I was having the same problem. Took a grounding strap from the negative post on battery to chassis and a grounding strap from the block to the chassis to get rid of it. Something to check if you haven't already...

i've had problems with some aftermarket eloctronic regulators, now i'll only use motorcraft regulators...period. a mechanical regulator isn't the way to go either, yes they are adjustable but they are nowhere near as reliable. you might also consider upgrading to a higher amperage alternator, most alternator/generator shops will have 100 amp conversion kits for your stock alternator.

This all stems from my electronics ignorance. I replaced the stock 40A (I think) alt w/ a brand new 62A alt before I understood that a 100amp one wire conversion is no big deal. My stereo amp is rated at 4 x 60 watts rms and I saw too much dimming of headlights, so I added a .5 farad capacitor. I am on the third (and most effective) electronic regulator with much less light dimming - but not perfect. Rather than pay for a new alt again, would a larger capacitor help?