Forced Induction Vortech bypass valve advice

Sparky714

Oct 16, 2015
North Dakota
I'm running a Vortech V3 at 10psi with a front mounted air to air intercooler. When lifting off the throttle I get the "cha cha cha cha" stutter sound with the stock bosch valve. So I went to an ebay aluminum direct replacement hoping it would flow a little better, which it does, but still too much stutter sound for my liking. I want a constant "wooosh" when I lift.

Intake pipe has a 1" bung, and if I remove the valve and just use my finger to simulate the valve opening, I can get a constant woosh when I let it free flow, so it seems to be able to release enough pressure to not stutter.

So my question is, is there an an aftermarket valve that will flow enough air to get the sound I want with the 1" opening, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a $300 Vortech valve and weld in a bigger bung? Car is speed density running on Megasquirt, so it can just vent to atmosphere if needed.
IMG_0998.JPG

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

From the pic, it looks like you're not venting to atmosphere but back to the intake.
If this is the case, you are configured as a bypass & not a blow-off.
Blow-off (BOV) will do what you want. Put the valve on the inlet side of the intercooler.
Put the valve on the pipe coming out of the fender well & plug the hole in the pipe going to the TB.
Since you are using a MAP sensor, you can probably leave the valve where it is, just vent instead of bypass.
I am using a Megasquirt with a MAF which is located between the intercooler & TB (inside passenger side fender well).

Last edited:
From the pic, it looks like you're not venting to atmosphere but back to the intake.
If this is the case, you are configured as a bypass & not a blow-off.
Blow-off (BOV) will do what you want. Put the valve on the inlet side of the intercooler.
Put the valve on the pipe coming out of the fender well & plug the hole in the pipe going to the TB.
Since you are using a MAP sensor, you can probably leave the valve where it is, just vent instead of bypass.
I am using a Megasquirt with a MAF which is located between the intercooler & TB (inside passenger side fender well).

Correct. It's set up as a bypass now. I was just saying I could vent to atmosphere since car is speed density if someone knew of a valve that flowed better and couldn't be set up as a bypass.

I actually got it working much better today by enlarging the ports with a dremel. Now I only get a stutter when lifting off after a hard pull.

I'm running a Vortech V3 at 10psi with a front mounted air to air intercooler. When lifting off the throttle I get the "cha cha cha cha" stutter sound with the stock bosch valve. So I went to an ebay aluminum direct replacement hoping it would flow a little better, which it does, but still too much stutter sound for my liking. I want a constant "wooosh" when I lift.

Intake pipe has a 1" bung, and if I remove the valve and just use my finger to simulate the valve opening, I can get a constant woosh when I let it free flow, so it seems to be able to release enough pressure to not stutter.

So my question is, is there an an aftermarket valve that will flow enough air to get the sound I want with the 1" opening, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a $300 Vortech valve and weld in a bigger bung? Car is speed density running on Megasquirt, so it can just vent to atmosphere if needed.
IMG_0998.JPG
How do you like the V3? What after market intercooler are you using. Was looking at the V3s and maybe going with a CXracing intercooler v3 kit

How do you like the V3? What after market intercooler are you using. Was looking at the V3s and maybe going with a CXracing intercooler v3 kit

I like it! I bought the HO kit and it works great. My intercooler is the CX Racing V3 kit also. I think it's pretty good quality for the price. It doesn't come with any instructions though, and it definitely took some cutting on the front bumper cover of my LX to make it fit. I had to take the whole nose off to get it installed.
2017-02-26 17.19.55.jpg
2017-02-26 17.20.21.jpg

I like it! I bought the HO kit and it works great. My intercooler is the CX Racing V3 kit also. I think it's pretty good quality for the price. It doesn't come with any instructions though, and it definitely took some cutting on the front bumper cover of my LX to make it fit. I had to take the whole nose off to get it installed.
2017-02-26 17.19.55.jpg
2017-02-26 17.20.21.jpg
Nice I was going this route which it’s still in the picture but now I’m contemplating the KB that re releasing but only if the flowzilla is an option.