Vortech, Paxton, KB, Powerdyne. Whats the difference?

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
Which one of these S/C seems to make the most power for the most reasonable price, and what exactly is the difference between them all. I know there is an obvious difference between a KB and a Vortech.

I am thinking about a Vortech V-1 S-Trim but wanted to get some suggestions before I jumpped on it.

EDIT: And where can i find info on all these? All the places I check out have just what it is and the price. Most dont even have a picture. Except Vortech.

• Sponsors (?)

the main diff between them is the KB is the only positive displacement on the list. all the others are centrifigul blowers. the power thing you said is backwards.

a pos displacement makes boost sooner, cent blowers make max boost at redline.

pos dis blowers also make more heat, but oh that bottom end torque.

seems like a cent blower is the way to go for sheer cost. you can pick up a used kit for cheap. or you could just buy my turbo kit(see sig) and blow them both away.

I saw that turbo kit, and i would love that, but its too rich for my blood.

You could always donate it to the "Nation department of advancing the HP of Erics Car" though. :rlaugh:

And KB's look so damn cool too.
Cant they be had used for not much more or about the same as a Vortech?

i bought a used vortech kit off here for right at $2k with maf/inj.

i dunno what you can get a kb for, but you can find used vortech's all day long for around that price--btw there are so many used vortechs cuz guys take them off for turbos lol.

btw, my price is negotiable as i have alot of extra parts in the kit.

I have seen tons of Vortechs on the Corral, but not as many KB's.

And Im only gonna have like ~$2000 so I wouldnt be able to afford the turbo kit. Id like to get everything or almost everything Id need to get it to run. I figure for $2000-2500 I should be able to get a S/C with supporting mods and a tweecer. If not then i can save up for a little while longer.

$2k for a fully ready setup is kinda dreaming. not saying you can't find it, but it will be hard.

with the kit i bought i still needed an intank, t rex, ign amp, tune, head gaskets, etc. it adds up quick.

me personally i would buy a tweecer now and learn how to use it well, as the stakes on a blown motor are much higher and much easier to mess your **** up.

good luck, i'll keep my eyes out.

I say save a little longer and buy the turbo. You will be alot happier in the long run if you are just patient. Then people will envy your turbo :D Although, KB's are great...I should know.As soon as I got a some money like you I was ready to buy any supercharger I could. I;m gald I waited and got what I really wanted. Because it will save you money down the road to do it once.

$2k for a fully ready setup is kinda dreaming. not saying you can't find it, but it will be hard.

with the kit i bought i still needed an intank, t rex, ign amp, tune, head gaskets, etc. it adds up quick.

me personally i would buy a tweecer now and learn how to use it well, as the stakes on a blown motor are much higher and much easier to mess your **** up.

good luck, i'll keep my eyes out.
Yea. Im pretty good at deal hunting though. If I need to then I can get some more money. And the twEECer will be the first thing I get for the exact reason you said.

I say save a little longer and buy the turbo. You will be alot happier in the long run if you are just patient. Then people will envy your turbo :D Although, KB's are great...I should know.As soon as I got a some money like you I was ready to buy any supercharger I could. I;m gald I waited and got what I really wanted. Because it will save you money down the road to do it once.
Turbo would be cool, But I would just rather the simplicity of a S/C. Then down the road I will work on the motor and stuff.

And do you have some pics of your S/C?

A KB will also require a slightly larger hood to fit so add that to the budget. Buy a blower based on what you plan on doing 5+ yrs from now it's cheaper. If I decide to get a blower it would probably be a KB since it makes it's power in the same rpm range I plan on spending most of my time in (90+% to be exact). Which is 5,500 and under so it would fit *my* want/needs. If you plan on plenty of seat time at the track you would need a blower that makes good power from 4500-moon centri would be the way to go. Light to light low-mid (3-5500rpms) a KB will stomp most cars in your way, assuming you can find the traction cause 400+tg at 3500 rpms ain't easy lol.

A KB will also require a slightly larger hood to fit so add that to the budget. Buy a blower based on what you plan on doing 5+ yrs from now it's cheaper. If I decide to get a blower it would probably be a KB since it makes it's power in the same rpm range I plan on spending most of my time in (90+% to be exact). Which is 5,500 and under so it would fit *my* want/needs. If you plan on plenty of seat time at the track you would need a blower that makes good power from 4500-moon centri would be the way to go. Light to light low-mid (3-5500rpms) a KB will stop most cars in your way.

I have a hood from HO Fiber trends on the way. So thats not an issue.

And the car would be pretty much street driven with occasional track visits.

Right now Im still stuck between a KB and a Vortech.

just ask yourself where you see your combo. Me, I like mid-higher rpm power....so I planned my combo around that and took advantage of gearing. Don't get me wrong, I still make good power down low.

It's all how much you're willing to give up in daily driving. I don't mind shifting that much (granted, I only have 3.73s so it's not that bad). I don't mind cruising at a slightly higher rpm. AND, I don't mind downshifting to put myself in my power band :D

my emphasis has always been on mid-range to top-end power...cuz then you can just gear it up...only problem is traction up top (which is why I went 3.73s on the street...the low end I have makes up for the steeper gears anyhow)

My vote is vortech w/ meth injection as far as fun factor/cost/reliability goes. Plus, you could possibly sell it for a little less than you bought it for if you happen to want to get rid of it.

A KB will also require a slightly larger hood to fit so add that to the budget. Buy a blower based on what you plan on doing 5+ yrs from now it's cheaper. If I decide to get a blower it would probably be a KB since it makes it's power in the same rpm range I plan on spending most of my time in (90+% to be exact). Which is 5,500 and under so it would fit *my* want/needs. If you plan on plenty of seat time at the track you would need a blower that makes good power from 4500-moon centri would be the way to go. Light to light low-mid (3-5500rpms) a KB will stomp most cars in your way, assuming you can find the traction cause 400+tg at 3500 rpms ain't easy lol.

If i am not mistaken they will fit under a stock hood (KB). I am getting a KB because of the low end torque and my auto. Like everbodyelse has said it ust comes down to where you want your power and what your plans are.

Everything I've researched shows that there are pros and cons to all the poweradders. There is no "silver bullet". Like any good car thing it is highly subjective. You've got to pick what matches your driving style and budget best.

I think for what you do with your car, the Vortech is a better fit for you.

My car is a daily driver too - I still wanted a "gas friendly" lowend but with the power there when I needed it. Easier on the engine on a day to day basis, good with a DD. The kits are brain-dead easy to install. Don't fear tapping the oil pan, ironically that was one of the easiest parts of my install.

Tuning the boost is a totally different game and doesn't have as much "give" as a n/a tune. You screw up and go to lean or too much spark and you'll be swapping head gaskets. You'll want to be WELL versed in the EEC-IV/SN95 way of doing things before you attempt it. Understand what open loop is, how to get there quick and why we have four spark tables and what modifies them. Get that twEECer and wideband asap if you want to self-tune.

Also don't forget the supporting mods you'll want if you are going to "do it right" and self-tune - MAf, a fuel pump and/or t-rex, injectors, plugs, different PCV, gauges, definitely a wideband to go with your tuner if you are self tuning, want to log boost? need a dataQ too, EECAnalyzer is great software, add $50, BinaryEditor is growing on me - add some more $. Take the cost of your kit and have an extra grand lying around... you'll use it.

Make sure whatever poweradder you choose, that you can upgrade it to your goals.

Oh yeah and don't forget the noise factor... obnoxious V1 S-trim FTW. :-D

Wes

A Kenne Bell kit will fit under a stock hood.

I have had both. The Vortech is more forgiving on the tune. It makes the boost when the engine is under less load, instead of all the boost down low like a KB.

With your 3.73's a Vortech will work perfect..............You wouldn't be disappointed. Either way it's all good............ If I had to choose right now I would go with the Vortech. I like having more choices for Intake manifolds. But the Kenne Bell is awesome also! I love the bottom end torque!