Vortech V1 vs Ls1?

slayerripkdc

15 Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
brewster ny
Sup guys! So within the next couple of weeks I should be installing a Vortech V1 s trim! I am very excited! Anyway. My friend has an Ls1 Camaro with full exhaust, lid and tune. He says that he will destroy a 2v with a vortech running 8lbs of boost. Now i Know that LS motors are very potent! Will the vortech give me enough top end to hang with a full bolt on LS1 with stock cams? My mods are V1, supplied injectors, suppled pump, plugs and supplied tune.

• Sponsors (?)

Since when does a full exhaust and tune give LS1's 80rwhp? Centri setups are mostly top-end strong, you shouldn't have a problem with him.......if you can drive.

At 8 lbs of boost you should be able to take him. His LS1 is 305 at the engine. If it were an SS then he has 320 at the engine. The tune and exhaust will open it up but def not enough to take you out on 8 lbs. Now if he gets an HCI package...

On the street, I'm still picking the LS1. It should trap 112-113 with a decent driver. I don't know for sure, but I pretty seriously doubt a stock PI 4.6 on 8 pounds is going to trap any more than that. It DEFINITELY isn't going to do it if your weather is anything like my weather is right now (very hot and humid).

One other thing, is your car intercooled or not?

On the street, I'm still picking the LS1. It should trap 112-113 with a decent driver. I don't know for sure, but I pretty seriously doubt a stock PI 4.6 on 8 pounds is going to trap any more than that. It DEFINITELY isn't going to do it if your weather is anything like my weather is right now (very hot and humid).

One other thing, is your car intercooled or not?
112-113?? That Camaro won't trap that on a good day with the best driver. It's not a mid 12 sec car...not with those mods. And the Mustang at 8 lbs isn't gonna break 12s either. The Camaro will probably trap around 105. The Mustang at 8 lbs SHOULD beat the Camaro but it still won't hit 112 mph after a 1/4 mile run.

112-113?? That Camaro won't trap that on a good day with the best driver. It's not a mid 12 sec car...not with those mods. And the Mustang at 8 lbs isn't gonna break 12s either. The Camaro will probably trap around 105. The Mustang at 8 lbs SHOULD beat the Camaro but it still won't hit 112 mph after a 1/4 mile run.
My friend said he is trapping 114 with full exhaust and lid and was trapping 107 bone stock. Ls1 should put down around 350 to the wheels with those mods. I also personally seen a vortech V2 2v with powerpipe and mid pipe run a 12.1 with a 1.9 60. So they are both def capable of running low 12's high 11's with good driving!

is he auto or manual stock gears I am assuming no way you get him out of the hole if he's auto or top end if he's manual. If he has 410s forget about eitherway unless you can drive the :poo: out of yours. I've had 3 ls1 cars a fox body and my 04 2v, by far the quickest was my full bolt on 99 z28 6 speed it made 356 RWHP, but my 99 z28 auto would have got it out of the hole, 2nd is a MF in a 6 speed . An auto ls1 with stock gears seems to run out of breath around 110 mph but is hell out of the hole for an otherwise stock car. Should be a good race but my money would be on the bolt on GM . In a beauty contest the mustang beats a camaro every time. In a beauty contest with a new edge against a ram air the push goes to the best wheels. Sorry for rambling . A bolt on ls1 with a driver is a sure nuff beast.

At 8 lbs of boost you should be able to take him. His LS1 is 305 at the engine. If it were an SS then he has 320 at the engine. The tune and exhaust will open it up but def not enough to take you out on 8 lbs. Now if he gets an HCI package...

More like 350hp at the engine. SS made no difference. 2001-2002 cars got the LS6 intake which helped out. Most stock Ls1 M6 cars dyno in the 300-315 area bone stock.

I went 11.87@116mph in my friends 2000 SS camaro in 2002, ten years ago with bolt ons and an LS6 intake.

OP, it is going to be a drivers race. Traction, gearing, and transmission will dictate the outcome most likely. Good luck, and get a video!

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry but I'm a bit skeptical. Without some good tires and suspension work, I'd say maybe mid to low 13's for the Camaro and maybe low 13's for the GT with the blower. Just going by what I've seen and raced at the track.

Im having the same issue with the local ls1 guys because they are getting hurt that my all motor 2v is beating them, the fastest one has a tune longtubes, exhaust, lid, and converter through an auto his best was 12.71 at 106.

LS1 drivers think they own the street for some reason, i love it!

Talk all the junk you want with the vortech you should take him, if not learn to drive!

Im having the same issue with the local ls1 guys because they are getting hurt that my all motor 2v is beating them, the fastest one has a tune longtubes, exhaust, lid, and converter through an auto his best was 12.71 at 106.

LS1 drivers think they own the street for some reason, i love it!

Talk all the junk you want with the vortech you should take him, if not learn to drive!

True story

Me taking down a C6 Vette in my N/A 2v (video down below). It still had stock 3.27 gears in it at this time. As a matter of fact, I didn't have my 78mm TB/Plenum, Bogarts w/ Mickey Thompson drag radials, strange shocks/struts, or my finalized weight reductions when I raced him. All I had was a JLT, tuner, UPR rear suspension, prochamber, flowmasters, and some NT-05R's at this time. I would have beat him by way more than I did (1.5 car) if I would have had the rest of my stuff.

I have beaten quite a few C6Zs and even a ZR1 at the track. Does that mean that my car is faster or that it won't get destroyed on the street? Absolutely not.

I have seen quite a few stock LS1s trap 107+. Full bolt ons easily equal 5 mph. If the Camaro DOESN'T trap 112 in decent weather, then something is wrong.

And we still don't know if the Mustang is intercooled or not.....

And you guys talking about beating LS1s with naturally aspirated 2-valves....you need to get around some folks who know how to drive or who have similar tire setups. Equal driver for equal driver, and equal tire for equal tire, NA LS1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NA 2-valve 4.6. Sorry guys. Just keeping it real.

Reactions: 1 users